Thorn Flower: The Healer And The Traveler

Thorn Flower let out a purr of amusement. True, she was dead. She was a spirit now. But she had work to do.

"I have many things to do before I join the waves for good my son," she told him. "A Tribe Leader and his Successor can not do everything. There are other roles that cats need to play to make the Tribe successful. Important roles."

She gazed at the new Tribe-members. Reading them, studying their possible futures.

"A Tribe needs two other roles to function as well as possible," she continued, not moving her golden eyes from them. "A Healer, who can care and treat those who serve the Tribe of Crashing Waves. Gentle, thoughtful and resourceful, who can handle working under pressure. And a Traveler, who can explore beyond the confinements of camp, locating the best prey spots, the best areas where herbs grow, finding more cats and spreading the good word about the Tribe. Giving their fellow members the edge on the world around them through reports."

"I will choose these cats," she decided. "I can see all of their possible futures. I know who will preform the roles best."

She stood up and padded up to one of the she-cats.

"Ink Smudge," she addressed. "You have the right qualities to be the Tribe Healer. You are kind, compassionate, patient, gentle, you will do well. And I will be right by your side, until I know you can handle anything that comes your way."

The smudgy black and white she-cat dipped her head.

"I will not argue with the word of a spirit. If that is what the Tribe wishes, then I will preform as the Tribe Healer."

Honorable.

Thorn Flower turned to the big ginger tom cat, who was sitting calmly with his tail wrapped around his paws.

"Skid Road, as a stray you wandered wherever you felt. You let your heart guide your paws. You will be the Tribe Traveler. You will be free to roam wherever once again, but your connection to the Tribe of Crashing Waves will always bring you home, even if it is many days later."

Skid Road dipped his head with a smile.

"As you wish."

"And the rest of you, Feather Slash, Muddy Whiskers, Sand Grain, White Rose. Although you do not have a proper tital or role, you are still important to the Tribe," she reminded. "You and your other Tribe-mates, Mushroom Tip, Fish Bone, Ginger Patch, Night Shade. Without you there would be no need for a Leader, or a Successor, or a Healer, or a Traveler.  Without you there would be no Tribe. Only strays and pets. All of you are important. The Tribe's survival depends on each and every one of you."