"The Lottery of Doom"

MAGNUS POV:

"Are you, are you

Coming to the tree

They strung up a man

They say who murdered three

Strange things did happen here

No stranger would it be

If we met at midnight

In the hanging tree

Are you, are you

Coming to the tree

Where dead man called out

For his love to flee

Strange things did happen here

No stranger would it be

If we met at midnight

In the hanging tree"

"Okay, you can stop singing. Can you just please tell me what happens in 'The Arena' or whatever?" I asked, getting impatient. "Or, wait. Do I need to go to the tree?" 

"Are you, are you

Coming to the tree

Where I told you to run

So we'd both be free

Strange things did happen here

No stranger would it be

If we met at midnight

In the hanging tree

Are you, are you

Coming to the tree

Wear a necklace of hope

Side by side with me

Strange things did happen here

No stranger would it be

If we met at midnight

In the hanging tree-"

I transformed him back into pendant form halfway through the song and decided to try again. I picked up one of the other books, Catching Fire. I read a few pages and once again gave up. Who was Katniss, and what was this? I switched on the TV.

Alex, being Alex, burst into the room as I was watching the fourth episode of the second season of Victorious. "Hey!" I exclaimed "Beck and Jade were in the middle of a fight. Again." Alex rolled her eyes.

"Maggie, why are you watching this?"

I shrugged. "It was on my recommendation list on Netflix.'

She pushed me towards the centre of the bed so she could sit next to me. "Have you started reading yet?" She said, turning off the TV.

"Umm..." I started.

"Are you kidding me! You still haven't read The Hunger Games? Why do I even put up with you..." She sighed.

"Honestly sometimes I don't know."

She got up and walked to the door. "I'm going to go change then we have to go to the lounge for the reaping."

I summoned Jack again. "Quick, what's the reaping?" I asked. "Think of it like the Lottery of Doom." He said. I didn't know what that meant. I put him back in pendant form. He was no use anyways.

Alex came back to the room 10 minutes later. She was wearing a soft pink dress that came down to below her knees. The sleeves covered half her upper arms and there were buttons on the upper part of it. There was a thin light green ribbon around her waist with a simple bow in the front. The lower part of the dress was really simple. It hung loosely around her legs and flowed when she walked. The dress made her look older. It looked nice on her. But it was too fancy. It wasn't Alex.

"Umm... why are you wearing that?" I asked. Alex just rolled her eyes and muttered something about 'stupid people' who 'haven't read a single proper book in their lives'.

She grabbed an empty notebook off a shelf and tore out 2 blank pages. She cut them into 5 pieces each. When I asked her why, she sighed and replied, "12-year-olds put their name in once. 13-year-olds, twice. 14, three times. And so on. 16-year-olds, like the two of us, put in their names 5 times." I didn't know what the Hel she was talking about but I nodded and pretended to understand.