"Who Are You?"

Steven put the five discarded gemstones on a table when he was back home. Sitting down on the sofa, he stared at each of them nervously. Suddenly the door to his house opened.

"Steven!" Greg cried. "I got here as fast as I could! Are you okay?" He ran to the sofa. He stared at the four Crystal Gems, then at the heart Gem. "Holy... s-she got everybody! Is that her?" He pointed to the heart.

"Yeah," Steven said quietly.

"Who-"

"No idea," he finished for Greg.

"Why?"

"No idea," he repeated.

"How?!"

"She hit all of us with this," said Steven, reaching into his pocket and retrieving a pink handgrip. Flipping the switch, the scythe ignited with a metallic noise as pink electricity crackled around the blades.

"Aah!" Greg cried, leaping back and staring at the weapon as Steven turned it off again. He sighed in relief.

"It did something extra to me, and now my powers aren't working right," Steven explained. "Look." He tried to take out his shield, but after a few seconds it glitched out. He lifted his top to show that his Gem was flickering. Pocketing the short pink stick, he covered his face with his hands. "I just have no idea what's going on!"

"Well son, now you know how I feel almost all the time." He put an arm around his son's shoulder and gave him a sympathetic smile. Is that a good thing? Steven wondered. "They're going to be fine. I'm not too bothered about her -" he glared at the heart, "but Garnet, Amethyst, and Pearl will all be fine."

As if on cue, Pearl's gem started to rise in the air. "See? Here she comes! Good old Pearl!"

But Pearl's gem did not immediately regenerate her. Instead, it floated over to a free space and hovered in the air. A glowing aqua clam appeared where the gem had been. The gemstone was still glowing from inside the shell. "Well, that's new," Greg commented.

"Please identify yourself," the shell said in a cool, electronic voice that was not Pearl's.

"Um... Greg Universe?" Greg told the shell uncertainly.

"Greetings, Um-Greg Universe. Please state preferred customization options."

"Um-" Greg turned to Steven. "What am I supposed to say?" he whispered.

"I-I don't know!" he replied helplessly. He had no idea what the Gem's weapon had done to him and his friends, but he didn't like it one bit.

"Default self-selected. Please stand by," said the shell. It floated to the ground and opened. Out came the shining figure of Pearl... but something seemed different about her somehow. Her hair was pink and a little bit longer, and her skirt seemed to be sort of a ballerina design.

Greg and Steven nevertheless stood up and ran towards her. The shell disappeared and Pearl looked at Greg. "Pearl!" Steven cried. "Pearl, thank goodness you're back!"

To his surprise, Pearl simply walked past him, gazing at Greg, and slowly walked to him as if in a trance. She smiled at him and began to sing:

"How do you do

My Um-Greg Universe

Thank you for bringing me into the world

I am at your eternal service,

Welcome to your new Pearl!"

Greg and Steven stared at her in disbelief. "W-w-what's going on?!" they cried simultaneously.