Chapter 1

Luka's pov

-One year later-

"Luka, dude, get your ass out of bed!"

I groaned as Caleb tried to get me out of bed for the umpteenth time today.

I grabbed a pillow and chucked it in his direction, hitting him square in the face. A small smile took over my lips as he huffed in annoyance.

"Come on, man. I'm taking you out of town to have some fun. You need it," He said, and I knew damn well that he'd be back if I didn't oblige.

Sighing, I gave in to his plea and reluctantly left the bed. I had to resist the urge to roll my eyes at his behavior after he shot me a victorious smile.

Over the past year, he has been with me. I couldn't help but be grateful that he kept me out of my darkest places. Still, that didn't stop the darkness when he was gone though.

It has been hard-harder than I guessed initially. Every time I was in my and Ella's room, I felt emptier than usual. Her scent was everywhere, and I couldn't stand it. I moved out of our room only three weeks after her funeral. It became too hard for me to even sleep, which affected everything.

My mom and little sister, Emma, tried to get me to move on way too fast. I snapped at them one day, and they have been staying away since then, only checking in with me to see if I'm still alive, I assume.

I was never the man that acted tough and emotionless. We all have feelings, and nobody ever judged me for being sad. Still, they became distant. They wanted the old me too quickly, and I couldn't do that for them.

I don't even think I could do it for myself... ever.

My dad only sends Caleb to check in on me, since he's the only one who can get through to me in that sense. Caleb understood and didn't push me to do things I didn't want to do. He was here to help me heal, not force me to act like nothing happened and be 'their Luka' again.

Maybe I was selfish. But the break of a mate bond is torture.

After throwing on a white tee shirt and jeans, I went out to the living room, not even bothering to fix my messy, dark hair. Ty, my brother, met my eyes as soon as I was at the bottom of the stairs.

"Hey, bro! You got out of bed today. You look... good." I scoffed at my younger brother's 'bluntness' as I gave him a hug.

"Yeah, your Beta dragged me out of bed. Probably worried I would wallow in my sorrow or something. You know, especially today." He nodded, understanding what I meant, but said nothing.

We sat in silence as he looked over the documents in his hands; I assumed it had to do with pack business.

Frowning, I got up and went to the kitchen to get a drink before Caleb returned. I missed being Alpha. Whenever someone calls me 'Luka' instead of 'Alpha', it tears me apart. I'm not power hungry, but it hurts to give away your birthright. Still, it was necessary for the pack.

After coming to terms with Ella's death, it took a toll on me and my wolf. We were restless, and I couldn't behave right. I still can't.

My pack started fearing me, and it hurt like hell. It hurt that I was failing them. That pain, plus the pain of a broken mate bond, was torture.