CHAPTER TWENTY-ONE

CHAPTER TWENTY-ONE - TRUNKS FULL OF NIGHTMARES

The Christmas holidays had come and gone, and with it the wintery chill that had clung to the castles vines had begun relenting their icy grip

The Christmas holidays had come and gone, and with it the wintery chill that had clung to the castles vines had begun relenting their icy grip. Students were back in Hogwarts and roaming around her halls, and lessons were up and running once more. 

Despite the breakthrough Noelle, Harry, Hermione, Ron and Remus had made, they couldn't escape their responsibilities in school. That hadn't meant they were dedicating almost all of their free time trying to help Sirius case, however, often sending small notes back and forth via Crookshanks and Amira. It even took a while for Noelle to stop discussing her plans with Remus during one of her tutoring sessions.

"...And that's why I think babies are parasites."

...Well. They had been discussing the plan, but then Noelle got a little side-tracked when Remus had off-handedly commented how Pettigrew would probably 'wail like a baby' when he got caught.

"Interesting," murmured Remus with an amused smile. "You are aware that you were once a baby too, aren't you?"

Noelle rolled her eyes, replying "Well, yeah, but I've been told that I was an easy child to deal with because I'd just sleep all day." 

Amira opened her eyes and turned her head to give an olive-eyed, disbelieving stare to her ward, ears flicking in irritation.

"I think your Daemon disagrees."

"She's just a dumb wolfㅡ" Noelle dodged a swipe from a sharp-clawed paw "ㅡignore her."

There was a sharp intake of breath, and Remus suddenly shook his head, seeming to remember something. "That brings us back to our lesson," he said loudly, putting an end to their impromptu discussion about parasite babies as he slid off his desk and walked to the chalkboard. "What do you remember about Red Caps?"

"They're small beings who attack anyone wandering into their homes, and are called Red Caps because the tops of their heads are dyed with the blood of their victims," answered Noelle promptly, watching as he crossed the name off the list.

"And what about Kappas?"

"They're... the water demons, right?" Remus nodded, and Noelle was pleased that she had remembered the facts even after their meandering discussion. She continued more confidently, "They strangle humans that invade their ponds, and feed on their blood." Noelle pulled a face, mumbling, "Why is everything low-key some kind of mosquito?"

Remus was unable to hide his bark of laughter, and covered his face with his hands. "Don't let the Vampires hear you say that," he chuckled, and Noelle shared his grin. "And how do you feel about Werewolves?"

"If you're one, then they must be alright."

"What."

Noelle slapped a hand over her mouth, staring at her professor in shock. That wasn't meant to come out. "Um ㅡ sorry. I just..." But Noelle had no idea what to say. She stared at her professor slowly turning to look at her with suspiciously calm eyes, and swallowed thickly as her mind scrambled to explain herself.