TURN IT OFF

Originally published Sept

Originally published Sept. 27, 2017

Title: Turn It Off

Pairing: Jonah x Fem!Reader

Word Count: 539

Summary: Jonah is paying more attention to his phone than to you, so you take matters into your own hands.

Warning(s): Like one cuss word, I think? If there's anything else, message me and let me know!

A/N: Thank you so much for the request, anon!

You weren't really sure why you were still there. Your friends, who were a lot more skilled in the dating department than you were, had told you that if a guy paid more attention to his phone than he did to you, it was time to run for the hills and never look back. But you didn't want to do that. You really did like Jonah, and he meant a lot to you. So, you sat with gritted teeth, watching as he scrolled through Twitter, never sparing a glance in your direction. You reached for your phone and opened Snapchat, opting to talk to people who'd actually pay attention to you rather than mull over Jonah's neglect.

Half an hour later, he was still on his phone. You couldn't really be mad at him-Why Don't We had just dropped their Invitation EP and he was busy promoting it and responding to fans. It was his job. But you'd invited to your apartment so he could spend time with you, not have his entire focus attached to his phone. You wanted to ask him to leave, but you never got to see him anymore. But every time that damn phone dinged, you were 100% ready to pry it from his hands and chuck it against the wall.

A lightbulb went off above your head. Still on your phone, you left Snapchat and opened the Music app. You turned the volume on your phone to about halfway and started playing a song from Why Don't We's Invitation EP on repeat.

It's going up on the notifications (turn it off, turn it off)
DM gotta go on vacation (turn it off, turn it off)
They ain't gotta know your current location (turn it off, turn it off)
'Cause tonight we goin' private and nobody else allowed

You watched Jonah in the corner of your eye, trying to see if he was going to react or not. But he was completely zoned out. You frowned, and turned the volume a little bit more and set your phone to the side. You stood up and left the room for a few minutes. When you came back, Jonah still hadn't noticed that his song was playing.

Desperate to get his attention away from his phone, you turned the volume up all the way. Jonah's head snapped toward you.

"Are you...Are you playing my song?" he asked.

"Mhm," you hummed. A smirk curled across your face.

"How long has it been playing?"

"A while," you admitted. "I didn't think you were ever going to notice it. You were so focused on your phone, I don't think you would've noticed if a tornado came through here."

His face was the color of a firetruck. "I-I don't know what you're talking about."

You laughed. "Mhmm. Care to explain why you didn't realize your own song was playing?"

He wrapped his arms around you and buried his face in your neck. "Shut up. You don't know what you're talking about."

"Yeah, okay, whatever you say," you giggled. You snuggled with Jonah, laughing under your breath. For the rest of the night, the two of you cuddled and ignore any other notification that came from his phone.