Kabanata 8

A year ago my wife died with her parting words lingering inside my mind. That made almost every night of my life sleepless because whenever I try to sleep, I can hear her voice like a broken voice recorder that stucked up inside my brain.

Like now.

I woke up again in the middle of the night sweating like fuck as those nightmares visited me again. Another sleepless night where peace is not a choice for me. I removed the comforter covering half of my body and sat at the edge of my bed, trying to catch my breath and calming my heartbeat.

"Fuck this." I cursed before I stood up and went outside my bedroom.

I decided to go to my mini bar downstairs and just drink my heart out until I'm fucking drunk. It's the only way for me to fall asleep.

Kumuha ako doon ng matapang na inomin at hindi na nag-abala pang isalin ito sa baso at tinungga na lang. I felt the sting in my throat as I drank it straight from the bottle.

I gulped down the last drop of the whiskey and placed the bottle in the bar counter. Hindi ako madaling malasing and that is fucking annoying right now because I fucking want to sleep but I just can't.

I decided to return to my room and sat in my bed. Inilamos ko ang dalawang kamay sa mukha ko habang nakayuko. Then I remembered something. Hinanap ng mga mata ko ang cellphone ko sa bedside table, katabi lang ito ng relos ko kaya kinuha ko ito at binuksan. The lights blinded me a little since it was too dark inside my room because I didn't turn on the lights. I can see well clearly in the dark, I also trained for that.

I unlocked my phone and opened my messaging app. I saw Roxx's name there and decided to text her dahil alam kong gising ka siya kahit alas dose na ng madaling araw.

I typed in the question I want to ask her and immediately I got a reply from her.

Roxx:

Everything is fine, boss. No need to worry.

Ako:

I was just making sure.

Ibabalik ko na sana ang phone ko sa table pero biglang nag vibrate ito sa kamay ko. Tiningnan ko ito, another message from her again.

Roxx:

Hindi ka naman makatulog, boss?

Ako:

Yeah. Nightmares.

Roxx:

Wait.

Kumunot ang noo ko sa sagot niya. Pero ilang sandali pa ay bigla siyang tumawag sakin. I was about to reject it since there is no reason for her to call but a notification of her text message appeared on the notification bar. After I read it I immediately answered the call.

"Hey..." I greeted, trying to be cold and not awkward.

She didn't say anything. The whole line was silent but I was patient. I closed my eyes when I heard her breathing. Then the call ended.

After that, I received another text message from her.

Roxx:

Tulog ka na, boss.

Ako:

I'll try. Thank you.

Pagkatapos noon ay ibinalik ko ang phone sa bedside table at humiga na sa kama ko. I tried closing my eyes in order for me to sleep. Ilang try ko pang ginawa iyon hanggang sa tuluyan na nga akong dalawin ng antok at nakatulog na sa wakas.

The next day was kind of annoying for me. Another fucking mafia family came to me to talk about a business that I don't want to be involved.

"This will boost your money, Don Xerxes-"