Love Triangle (2)

(This has the same beginning as my previous Love Triangle one-shot because I wanted to rewrite it. 💗)
Elain shifted in the bed and reached out for Azriel. She was surprised to be greeted by sheets and pillows. She realized they were still warm, and could hear the movement of plates just outside the door.
She sat up and smiled as Azriel walked in with a tray of eggs and toast. He entered placing a kiss on her forehead. She smiled and rubbed the sleep away from her eyes. He placed the tray on the bed and sat on the opposite side.
She frowned and crawled over into his lap nestling her head in the crook of his neck, and closed her eyes. The scent soothed her, he wrapped himself around her and nuzzled her with the tip of his nose, "Rise and shine."
He kissed her closed-lids, they fluttered open. He was already dressed in his Illyrian leathers, but his hair was still unfixed. She smiled at the sight, his hazel eyes warm and he had a soft smile that only Elain seemed to ever see. She ran her hands through the dark strands, he leaned into the touch but a muscle flickered in his jaw. "What's wrong?" He shook his head, "Nothing it's just-" she kissed the corners of his mouth and gave him a reassuring smile, "Together, we will get through this together." She reminded him.
"Lucien is back." She froze for a moment.
Sh*t. This isn't good. Elain had told Lucien that she'd give him a chance but, she feared how he would react when he found out she was with Azriel. "He's only visiting but, I think he wants to see you." Elain nodded, "I'll talk to him."
There was a knock on the door, "Feyre said she'd drop off some clothes." Elain put on her fluffy peach robe before heading for the door. She nearly dropped the mug in her hand as he greeted her, "Elain!" Her eyes widened as she saw the red-haired male emerge from the doorway.
"Oh! Lucien!" Elain nearly choked her face flushing. From behind, she could hear Azriel shifting in the background. "Elain?" Lucien asked in a more confused, bewildered tone."What are you doing here?" Elain tried to form the words, but she was too embarrassed to do so. "I-" she stammered, unintentionally clenching her fists, "I was just stopping by- yes. I'm about to leave anyway." Lucien raised an eyebrow, "This early?"
"Lucien-" Azriel emerged from behind Elain.  She could see the awkwardness beneath his unreadable expression. An image only an immortal with centuries of practice could portray. "I wasn't expecting you this soon." He said. "I wanted to talk to you, Amren told me this was Az's apartment." He looked between the two of them, "I'm sorry if I-"  Hurt flashed across his features, "...Interrupted something."
"Huh?" Elain blinked. What was he trying to imply? She dismissed the thought, "I'll meet you in an hour by the street corner, is that okay?" Lucien nodded, only half-listening. "Okay."
As the door shut, Elain heard Azriel give a sigh of relief. "What was that about?" She smiled, sighing as the door closed behind her. asked, locking the door and making eye contact with her. Even though she'd known him for years, his gorgeous hazel, golden-speckled eyes still caught her unprepared each time she saw him. "I don't know," Elain admitted, tilting her head down, "maybe he wanted something?"
    Azriel paced to the kitchen and got himself a cup of water, but something was still bugging Elain. "What was he talking about?" Azriel's eyebrows knitted in confusion as she spoke. "Lucien?"
    "What did he mean about- interrupting us?" Elain shrugged and said, "It's not a big deal. I just noticed he emphasized it. I was just wondering-"
    "You don't need to explain
Elain met Lucien at the intended spot, and she led them down the street. "So, how were the mortal lands?" She asked. "It was beautiful." The small talk was short-lived before Lucien brought up the elephant in the room, "So, how long have you guys been together?" They shouldered their way through a small crowd of people, "Not too long." Elain replied simply. "Do you," Lucien paused, "Love him?" Elain stopped at the corner of the street to face him. "I do."
He stared, "I- When did you know?" They crossed the street, "Know?" Elain tilted her head, "I think I realized it when he rescued me from Hybern..." A chill ran down her spine.
Lucien stared at her, processing the information, "I see." He shrugged, "They told him he would die if he tried." Elain's breath caught in her throat, "What?"
"They told him it was a suicide mission."
Elain remembered his face when he rescued her, memorized every line just in case it was the last she'd see. The brutal scars and tears in his wings flashed through her mind, the agony he likely felt from those injuries. Lucien hesitated but placed a comforting hand on her shoulder, "I'm happy for you." Elain could hear the acceptance in his voice. "Thank you."
They continued down the street until they reached The House of Wind, Azriel already waiting on the steps. Elain waved goodbye before parting ways. He smiled, Feyre greeted him before he entered.
"So how'd it go?" Azriel asked, extending an arm. She took it as they walked towards the Sidra. She shrugged, "Better than I expected it to." She could hear him relax as he said, "I'm glad." They continued silently until they reached the shoreline, Elain placed her head on his shoulder, "He told me you were going to die." Azriel stiffened and looked down at her, "What?"
She frowned at the not-so-distant memory, "They said you would die if you tried to save me." He seemed unfazed, "I was well aware." Her eyes widened, "Then why? Why did you do it if you knew you were going to die?" He blinked, the only sign of surprise, "Feyre was there too." Elain shook her head, "I know but," she searched his eyes for a reason, "She wouldn't have, you were the only reason anyone tried. Azriel, you saved my life." He tilted his head, "And I never said thank you-" She let out a muffled cry as she buried her head in his chest, he tilted her head to look up at him.
Azriel gently wiped away her tears, "I'd do it a million times over if I had to." She recalled the agony he must have felt that night when his wings were torn and his back was ripped. He had brought Feyre, but she knew he would've gone without her either way. "But why?"
"Something snapped that night when I found out you were taken, I couldn't take it." He gave her that rare smile only she seemed to see, "I think I knew then, I just hadn't been willing to accept it." Elain shook her head, "Azriel you could have died." Her breath caught at the final word. He hugged her reassuringly, "But I didn't, I'm here." Tears began streaming down her face as he held her tighter, her mind began racing, "But what if you weren't, what if you hadn't made it out, what if you-" She felt a tear drop on her back, she felt his heart racing as well, "It took me centuries to realize no good would come out of what ifs," he pulled away revealing the single tear streaking his cheek, "Elain, it's true. I could have died, but I didn't. I'm here, and I'm not going anywhere." She stared at that falling tear, "Az, I don't know what I would have done if-"
He shook his head, "Elain," he said softly, "Elain look at me." She met his gaze, those hazel eyes shone bright in the sun, she could feel the tenderness in her stare, the rare emotions behind his usually unreadable expression. He cupped her face, those scarred palms were like calluses against her skin, "I'd trade those five-hundred years if it meant I could be with you, even if it was in mortal life." She rested her hands on top of his, cherishing their presence,
"Till death do us part." he smiled- it took her breath away every time, it somehow managed to amplify his already staggering beauty.
"Till our souls are mere shadows within the universe." He replied.