Chapter 11

Arthur anxiously shifted in his seat at the Misuse of Muggle Artefacts Office, stealing glances at the clock on the wall. Each tick echoed in his mind like a countdown of his own frayed nerves. The urgency of his request to Kingsley weighed heavily on him, evident in the furrowed brow and restlessness that danced across his features as he diligently scribbled notes and checked documents. He eagerly awaited Kingsley's response, grappling with impatience, every minute feeling like an eternity. The visit promised to him seemed perpetually delayed—a torturous limbo he wished to escape.

The minutes dragged on, and Arthur's restlessness multiplied into an unbearable tension. Unable to sit idly for another moment, he rose from his desk and began pacing the small office, his fingers absently stroking his chin in contemplation. A flood of thoughts swirled relentlessly in his mind—who could Kingsley be interrogating that was causing such a significant delay? And most importantly, what news could he bring regarding Harry's deteriorating health? Arthur's heart ached at the thought, fuelling his need for immediate action.

He made his way out of the office, his strides deliberate and hurried, urgency propelling him forward. The bustling corridors of the Ministry of Magic felt disjointed against his focused mind. A crowd gathered at the entrance to Kingsley's office caught Arthur's attention, but the commotion barely registered in his anxious state. Instead, he altered his course towards the courtrooms.

The atmosphere in the underground passages was eerily quiet, a stark contrast to the usual hustle of ministry life. Arthur's steps quickened, the distant murmurs and shuffling barely breaking the tense silence. As he spotted the Auror guards stationed ahead, he steeled himself, confidently heading towards the door where Kingsley was likely stationed.

After a moment of hesitation, raising a hand intent on knocking, the door swung open to reveal a fatigued and visibly irritated Kingsley. Arthur caught a brief glimpse of Lucius Malfoy's distinctive silver hair with his family, and felt an involuntary thrill of revulsion.

"Kingsley," Arthur said, weary but determined, their eyes locking in a shared understanding of the weight of their responsibilities.

Kingsley nodded. "I apologise for the delay in getting back to you, Arthur. I was just wrapping up my conversation with Lucius Malfoy."

"Did you manage to gather any useful information from him?" Arthur asked, the scepticism palpable in his voice.

Arthur raised an eyebrow, his instincts flaring. "He might just be playing games. Lucius has a history of deceit. We shouldn't trust him until he proves himself to be genuinely committed."

"I share your reservations. But there was something in his demeanor that made me believe he was being sincere. We will need to monitor him and his family closely," Kingsley replied, his tone serious.

"Even if he does genuinely want to switch sides, there's no guarantee that he'll remain loyal. We must tread carefully," Arthur insisted.

Kingsley's brow furrowed. "All he wants is to escape. Deception is his strategy. But having influential purebloods like Malfoy on our side would greatly benefit our cause."

"It seems unlikely that Malfoy would join us. Is he truly willing to switch allegiance, as he claimed?" Arthur asked, scepticism still heavy in his voice.

"He's proposed to share the identities of all Death Eaters and aid in their capture, in return for clearing his name and his family's reputation from any wrongdoing."

Arthur scoffed, letting out a loud snort of frustration. "That excuse sounds like it has been used too many times. While some have provided significant help, the majority did not. Why should we expect anything different this time? Allowing him to go free would be a grave mistake."