Trouble

“Come in, come in, you two!” Mrs. Hanas ushered Louis in quickly so that they could get out of the snow that had began to fall.  Meanwhile, Melina hung up both her and Louis’ outer coats, shaking her head when her mother seemed to have disappeared with Louis. 

“How’s my favoritest daughter?” Mr. Hanas said as he came over to kiss her temple. 

“Dad, I’m your only daughter.” Melina laughed as she hugged him.  “But I’ve been good. So what’s for dinner?”

“Grape leaves for appetizers with the special Hanas mediteranean hummus and your Mom’s fresh homemade pita bread along with a simple mozzarella cheese greek salad.”

“Yum,” Melina said automatically.  “What’s the special occasion?” She asked before wanting to facepalm as her father raised his brow at her and nodded his head towards where her Mom had handed Louis a warm cup of hot chocolate.  “Never mind.”

“It’s not every day that one’s daughter brings their boyfriend around to meet the parents.”

“You guys met him before!” Melina exclaimed. 

“That’s before he was your boyfriend, Melina.” Her father throatily laughed.  “Now I get to laugh because I beat your mother.”

“What?”

Mr. Hanas winked. “I put my chips in the right hand. Proves just how well I know you.” He gestured to Louis.  “Though poor Henry.  The kid just has no luck.  You know that your mother and Kaitlin, his mother are now trying to set him up with another girl already?”

“Mom’s really given up on Henry?” Melina’s jaw practically dropped as for as long as she could remember, her mother had been very determined to become family with the Hazes. 

“I think after the baseball game, your mother realizes that Henry really just would not suit you.” He said softly. 

“Only took her eighteen years.”  Melina shook her head. 

“Honey you would devour that boy.” Mr. Hanas chuckled as he walked with Melina to the living room. 

Melina whirled around to face her father.  “What does that mean?!” Melina asked, her jaw agape at the statement. Her father though did not answer as he asked Louis if he’d ever had Greek food before.

~~~

Louis grinned as Mrs. Hanas fussed over him.  He looked across the way where Melina was sitting and rather staring at her mother in shock. 

“Thank you Mrs. Hanas, it all looks very delicious.” He chimed as he was offered a good heaping of both grape leaves, both vegetarian and some with meat, along with a scoop of hummus that had a slight orange tinge to it but smelled rather delicious.

“Oh dear, you’re welcome.” Melina’s Mom said before she patted his cheek saying what a nice polite boy. 

Melina could only stare at her Mom.  She was acting really, really, giddy and it was slightly freaking her out.  “My dad’s the one who cooked, except the bread.” She spoke up.  Mrs. Hanas gave her daughter a look that actually relieved Melina as the look told her that her mother hadn’t been replaced with an imposter.  But then it only meant one thing. Her mother really liked Louis and was trying to be on her best behavior… Melina couldn’t help but grimace at the thought. 

“Melina Hanas what is with that unattractive expression on your face?  Louis is sitting right across from you.” Her mother sighed as she placed her napkin on her lap. 

Melina looked over at her dad but he just shrugged before digging into his food.  Then she made the mistake of looking up at Louis who grinned almost wolfishly at her because he was beginning to see what was horrifying Melina.  Mrs. Hanas liked him.  A lot. And it scared Melina a lot that her mother liked him so.