10

A week had passed since the incident, and today, I spent my time reading in the library after finally calling my parents. They were in Paris, enjoying a vacation—those two lovebirds.

"I was told you'd be here," Nuel's voice interrupted my thoughts.

"Why do I get the feeling Dovani is stalking me because of you?"

"I just told him to keep track of your whereabouts. That way, when I ask, he won't say he doesn't know," he responded with a shrug.

Typical Nuel.

He sat across from me, giving me the perfect opportunity to put my legs on his lap. He began massaging them, and I couldn't help but smile at the simple gesture.

"So, what do I owe this pleasure, Nuel?" I asked, half-joking.

"I got you a present."

"You didn't have to... but thank you," I replied, smiling as he handed me the gift.

I removed the wrapping and, to my surprise, revealed a gun. Something was carved into the side.

The words read: Vasílissa mou.

"I hope you like it," he said, watching my reaction.

"What language is this?"

"Greek, my dear."

"You speak Greek?"

He nodded. "Where did you think my mother was from?" he laughed. No wonder she had that foreign accent.

"What does it say?"

He smirked. "Google it."

Rolling my eyes, I pulled out my phone to look it up.

"Possessive brat," I muttered, glaring at him.

"Anytime, love," he smirked back.

A comfortable silence filled the space.

"So..." I began.

"So..." he echoed.

"Tomorrow is the tea party, right?"

"Yes," he confirmed.

"What happened to the guy who tried to kidnap me?"

"May his soul rest in hell," he said with a smirk.

"Did he give any information?"

"Actually, yes."

"Enlighten me," I smiled.

"He was hired to kidnap you as leverage to force me to step down from my position. The gang that hired him wants a merger, but there can only be one leader."

"Did you find out which mafia group it was?"

"The Russians."

"That's bad."

"I'm heading to one of their hideouts tonight. The war has begun."

I smiled. "I'm going too. It's been a while since I've used a gun."

He looked like he wanted to protest, but the warning in my eyes stopped him.

"Only if you stay close to me," he relented.

"Deal."

When we arrived at the hideout, we saw men pushing women into a truck.

"What the hell is going on?" I whispered angrily.

"Now's not the time, love. Focus on the mission."

Nuel was right. If I wanted to help them, I had to stay focused.

"Sam, shoot the men and drive the truck to the house. Leave some men with me," Nuel ordered.

"Okay, boss."

We snuck inside the warehouse, passing piles of sacks. Deeper in, two men were in the middle of a conversation, likely a business deal. No one noticed us enter.

"Keep a low profile," Nuel whispered. "When I give the signal, I want you to shoot the man with the neck tattoo. His name is Sergey—he's important. His death will send a message."

I nodded as he began to move.

"Where are you going?" I whispered.

"To make my presence known, of course," he replied with a serious face, leaving me more confused than ever.

Nuel walked right up to the two men, clapping his hands. The men turned toward him, one of their guards aiming a gun. Before the guard could shoot, Nuel put a bullet in his head. Sergey signaled for his men to stand down.

"Hello, gentlemen," Nuel said, unbothered. "I must say, this warehouse is huge. Mind if I borrow it? I need somewhere to store my weapons."

Does he realize they have him at gunpoint? He better make it out of this alive.

"Cut the crap, why are you here, Emmanuel?" Sergey glared while the other man tried not to look scared.

Nuel laughed. "Jonathan, how's your wife? I heard you lost the baby. You should go home—if you want to, that is."

Jonathan nodded, signaling his men to lower their guns and leave.

"What the hell are you doing, Jonathan? You can't leave—we need to finish the deal!" Sergey shouted.

I moved closer to a truck, taking cover.

"I don't want to be a part of this. Send my regards to your boss," Jonathan said before exiting.

"You'll regret this!" Sergey yelled.

Nuel smirked. "Smart man, isn't he?"

"You have no right to be here," Sergey growled.

"But I came for you," Nuel replied. "Now that we've established that, would you care to explain why your boss wants control of my mafia?"

Sergey smiled slyly. "Not my story to tell."

"Wrong answer," Nuel said, his voice hardening. "He's all yours, babe."

Nuel shot another guard as chaos erupted. He fought two more men while I aimed and shot Sergey in the leg and then the hand. After making sure no one else was coming, I joined Nuel.

He pointed the gun at Sergey's head. "Talk," he demanded.

"The boss wants a merger. Your mafia is powerful, and if he gains control, he'll be unstoppable. He wants to rule two empires—and he needs a queen. That's why he needed her."

So it was about me after all. Killing two birds with one stone. Smart.

"Very well," Nuel said before pulling the trigger.

The rest of the night passed in silence as we drove home. Nuel held me close as we lay in bed, his arms wrapped tightly around me.

"Andrea, you're not leaving me. I will protect you... I must protect you," he whispered, as if trying to convince himself.

"Calm down, Nuel. I'm here," I reassured him softly.

I slowly drifted to sleep in his arms.