13

13

Jensen arrived promptly and was surprised Johanna was ready most women would have kept him waiting. He like she was not like that. She was ready and waiting in the foyer for him. She looked especially nice today, she was sure to impress William and Michael he did not care if she impressed Nesbit. She was also certain to impress Wyld and Katie which is the only real friends he had in polite society.

When they arrived at Jacob and Katies residence she laughed maybe he did not know her, and Katie were friends. She followed him up to the door and waited to surprise Katie and Jacob. They were led into the parlor where the Duke and Duchess were waiting for them. Jensen knew he was in for it when Katie squealed and ran to hug Johanna.

"I am to presume introductions are not necessary?"

"Jo and I have been friends since childhood. My grandfather and her father were friends. When did you get to London?"

"Jensen brought me a couple of days ago."

Both Jacob and Katie caught the use of the Dukes given name. They must be a lot closer than either of them would think. Katie was not afraid to ask the question.

"When did the two of you meet. I had no Idea you two even knew each other even though you were neighbors?"

"Just a few days ago."

Katie turned to Jensen and seemed upset. It was hard for her to hide her emotions. She was the epitome of her Irish heritage and her fiery temper and that fiery red hair. She turned on Jensen.

"Was she compromised and that is why the two of you are so close?"

Jo started to laugh, and she could not stop laughing.

"He has been nothing but a perfect gentleman. But when you work on a mystery together then you tend to drop the formalities."

Katie was relieved, she knew in her heart Jensen was one of the good ones, but Jo had a special place in her heart and would protect her with her own life if needed. Jacob was interested in the mystery that brought the two of them together.

"What pray tell mystery are you solving?"

"Oh, there was a note left for me to solve a mystery that happened thirty-four years ago. Tomorrow we are going to the Marquis of Wigan's to see if he remembers anything from his time in service."

Both Jacob and Katie were surprised. This time Jacob turned around and snapped at Jensen.

"What are you telling her during this investigation?"

"I did not tell her anything, but the Duchess of Saint Helen's did."

"Jensen has been a perfect agent just as the two of you have been. Cordy is amazing as well but no one had to tell me anything I am not stupid I am highly intelligent. Maybe not as intelligent as Katie I do not speak several languages or break codes, but my research skills are second to none. That is why the Duke of Windom gave Jensen the assignment to protect me seems my snooping put a target on my head."

"How did you know I break codes?"

"All those puzzles we used to solve you did not think when I was with you that I did not try to solve the ones you were working on instead of the boring ones you gave me. I knew when we were children you and your grandfather were in service."

They all sat there with their mouths hanging open. How could she have put all of that together.

"Maybe I do not have your language skills, and I do not have Cordy's talent with numbers, but my investigation skills are impeccable."