14. Epilogue

13. Epilogue (No One Left to Blame)

The door creaks open, the oppressive dread of stepping into the lion's den overshadowed only by the bright glow of the Dive tanks. The shadowed figure creeps across the room, stepping gingerly over thick wires and discarded scrap. They didn't even have the decency to keep the room clean.

Looking up into the tanks, the figure has to take a few deep breaths to calm themselves, watching the very people he swore to protect suffering and abandoned. I'm sorry. But he has no time to reminisce, as he hurries over to the control panel bolted to the wall, only to be stopped by the sound of heavy footsteps making themselves known at the door.

"It's nice of you to have come here yourself. You have saved me the trouble of capturing you myself, after all." The figure whirls around, the magic of the earth ready and dancing across his fingertips. But he's too late, and Mira's larger, imposing silhouette already has his knees shaking, his mind fuzzy, and his limbs weak. He's too late.

Again.

~~~~~~~~~~

There's the sound of cold air hissing out of the machine, then velcro straps being undone and the scientists' slight grunt from the force of catching Collin's entire body weight. They carry him over to a metal table, laying him down carefully to check his vital signs. And, when that's done, it's off to the "psychologist" with him for reconditioning.

Tyne sighs, shaking his head. They had spent so much time just trying to capture Collin, and it turns out he doesn't even have a connection to Her or the others in the first place. His only use now is to become their dutiful slave and guard dog. Another failure. Damnit!

Tyne turns, the frustration bubbling under his skin fueling his determination to do better, to be stronger, to find and learn and understand all he can to bring Her down. Anything to stop the destruction. Anything to end the desperation. Anything to kill this war once and for all. The war between liv-

"Tyne," one of the lower-ranked soldiers says, interrupting his thoughts and his hurried pace down the long, twisting corridors. "The boss is calling for you."

"Thank you," Tyne mutters out between clenched teeth, changing course to go find "the boss". Arriving at the threshold of life and death, Tyne knocks loudly on the door, not bothering to wait for a reply before pushing the heavy wood across the floor and entering the room. "I heard you needed me?"

"Ah, yes," Mira says, looking up from the dying body at his feet. "I found the perfect place to assign your latest project to. I'd like you to read the reports we've gotten back from there, so you know how to educate it." Mira gestures to a stack of manila folders on his desk distractedly, as he cleans the blood off of his sword blade.

"Yes, Sir," Tyne says, picking up the light stack. "Are there any specific requests?"

Mira pauses in his cleaning, thinking for a minute. "No, you have completely free reign." Tyne nods, calmly walking back to the door fully intent on studying the documents until he has them memorized. "Oh, but Tyne," Mira calls over his shoulder, "You of course understand that any failures will fall on your shoulders?"

"Absolutely, Sir," Tyne answers, his voice full of conviction and devoid of hesitation.

As Tyne swiftly exits the room, Mira can't help but let a fond smile pull across his face. He really is a good kid.

~~~~~~~~~~

'We entered the city through the main entrance, surprisingly unguarded. Though we had received word of the poor security around the place, seeing it in person was completely different. No one questioned a few "friendly merchants" looking to expand their market, and everyone willingly gave information to a few non-Dragons just looking to understand their culture.