Chapter 5

"Oh I'm not sure about that....I'm not that good of a singer." I sort of mumbled which made me cringe. "Your a beautiful singer Coraline." Duke complimented me. I guess I'll sing for him. "Alright what song do you want to hear?" I asked. "Do you know Someone like you by Adele?" Duke gave me a smile. "Yeah I love Adele. Can I use that piano you have?" I asked standing up. "What? You can play piano?!" Duke was shocked all over again. "Yup I know how to play. Am I allowed to use your piano?" I asked him. He quickly nodded yes and we walked back inside his house. Duke lead me to the piano and I sat down. "Ready?" Duke asked while I was stretching out my hands. "Ready as I'll ever be." I responded back then began to play the familiar notes. I looked up at Duke as I played them and he gave me a thumbs up. I smiled and looked back at the piano. I took a deep breathe in and out then began to sing. "I heard that your settled down. That you found a girl and your married now. I heard that your dreams came true. Guess she gave you things. That I didn't give to you. Oh friend. Why are you so shy? Ain't like you to hold back. Ooh hide from the light...." I continued to sing and I closed my eyes feeling the song. I felt every sentences meaning flood through me. "Never mind I'll find someone like you. I wish nothing but the best for you too don't forget me I'll beg I'll remember you say..." I took a deep breathe as past memories flooded my mind. My past relationships and past heartbreaks. "Don't forget me I'll beg. I'll remember you say sometimes it lives in love but sometimes it hurts instead..." I felt wetness in my cheek but continued to sing my heart out. "I'll remember you say. Sometimes it lasts in love but sometimes it hurts instead." I stopped singing and quickly wiped my face. I looked up at Duke and he was in a haze. "Duke?" I questioned. I stood up in front of him. "Duke you okay?" I questioned once more. Duke snapped out of it and made eye contact with me. "Y-yeah sorry that was just really amazing." Duke quietly said. "T-thanks I could have sung a little bet-.." Duke cut me off and said "No that was perfect the way it was. Your beautiful." We smiled and I swear we were leaning in when we heard a cough. I jumped up scared from the sudden noise. I almost fell on my butt but Duke caught me before I could fall. He pulled me close to his chest and I let out a sigh of relief. "Thanks." I said and stepped away from him. We looked towards the unknown person and turns out it was his mom. She was smiling and crossing her arms while leaning against the wall. "Hey lovebirds do you want anything to eat?" "Oh no thank you Mrs.Moose I have to go home." I said quickly. "Oh it's fine hun make sure to come back soon again." Dukes mom was so nice. "Of course." I smiled at her then turnt to Duke. "Bye Duke I'll see you later." I gave him a small wave and smile. "Alright bye Coraline." He said back smiling. I quickly walked out of that room and out of that house. I ran to my house and slammed the door behind me. I collapsed on the floor and dialed Ava's number shakily. "Hello?" I heard from the other line. I burst into the tears and started to talk about my day and why I was crying. That song brought back so many memories. I didn't tell Duke that the last time I sung that song and played it over piano was when I was going through a tough heartbreak. Not to mention that we almost kissed! We met yesterday! Yesterday! Imagine if his mom didn't come into the room. What would've happened?! It would have been so much more awkward. "Hey just calm down okay? I wish I was there to hug you." I heard Ava day. "Hey listen to my voice Coraline.." I sniffled and listened to Ava. She began to sing.
"Somewhere over the rainbow. Way up high and the dreams that you dream of once in a lullaby..." I instantly began to calm down hearing those words. "Some where over the rainbows. Blue birds fly..." Ava always sings this to me to calm me down. It feels like she's right text to me. "Where trouble melts like lemon drops. High above the chimney tops. That's where you'll find me." She sung sweetly into the phone. "So where over the rainbow. Blue birds fly..." I leaned into her voice. It felt like she was right next to me singing. I stood up still listening to her sing. I grabbed a tissue and wiped my nose. I walked to the kitchen throwing the tissue in the trash can and washing my hands. I sat back down on the couch and pulled my knees up to my chest. I swayed to her singing and smiled to myself closing my eyes. Once Ava stopped singing it was silent for a couple seconds. "Are you okay?" She asked. I nodded but forget she couldn't see me so choked out a yes. "Alright now try and take a nap and relax okay?" "Okay...thanks b-bye." "Bye your welcome anytime your sad just call me. You know that." I hung up the phone and sighed. I got up and trudged upstairs exhausted from today. I'm exhausted and sad. That's just great. I closed my bedroom door behind me and hooked up my phone to the charger. My pajamas were calling my name as I walked over to my drawer. I didn't put on anything I just put on an t shirt. I walked to the bathroom and brushed my teeth, put my hair up in a bun, and put on pimple cream. Ain't nobody want those pesky pimples. I used the bathroom then walked back to my bedroom. I sunk into my bed and sleep took over me.