Prologue

Red Feather sat on the cliff's edge just south of Cair Paravel. The sun was setting in the West. She looked at the Castle from where she sat. The cool wind brushed her brown hair as she watched the seagulls fly on the horizon.

She sang a Narnian lullaby that reminded her of her friend and how they used to spend the Narnia summers in the Western wood and dance around the fires in the evening with other Narnians. They would dance till their feet were sore. Ever since the winter, no one had the heart for song. The fear of the White Witch and her secret police sent most into hiding. But for Red Feather, she still believed in the hope that one day Narnia would find peace once again. She knew Aslan would return.

Truffleskin snuck up from behind her. 

"Red Feather" the mouse spoke softly.

Red Feather acknowledged him and they watched the waves crash onto the shore.

"I have found some more recruits along the river Shribble. They have been holding against the giants in Ettinsmoor"

"How many?" Red asked.

"Only 100 or so. They are limited in resources and their numbers grow fewer each week. The giants are becoming more vicious each day".

"I thought they were Gentle Giants?"

"It appears that the Witch's evil magic is spreading to their minds," Truffleskin said sadly.

Red Feather at the sword beside her. "Send word to them that I will be with them soon" The gentle wind suddenly changed direction. And the sunset sky began to change its colour. "The wind is changing. You can almost feel the magic fading".

Truffleskin shook his head, "with all respect, Red Feather, but you are fooling yourself if you think that the Witch's magic is fading. If anything the fear is making her stronger".

The conversation went silent for a moment.

"Have you seen Him?"

Red Feather knew who he meant. "No, not yet. But I know he is coming. Spring is coming".

Truffleskin nodded, "until then", the mouse turned and scuttled through to the trees on his way to the Narnians. 

Red Feather stood up and watched Truffleskin leave. The trees danced in the wind. They used to bloom beautifully now they are sharp and cold. While she reminisced on the days before this Age of Winter she felt an unusual warmth surround her. It was odd because the snow still lay on the ground and the sun was almost set. She turned to look back at the darkening sky when she saw a flash of blue light on the horizon. From behind her, she felt a powerful presence.

Aslan.

With utter joy Red Feather, rushed up to Aslan and hugged him with all her might. 

Aslan chuckled. "My dear one".

"I have missed you".

"And I, you".

Red Feather spent a few seconds in complete awe. She could not express how happy she was to see Him.

"Come, we mustn't delay. There is much to do. Much I will have to ask of you. Times are changing and Narnia is changing just as fast. Are you ready?"

Red Feather picked up her sword and looked at Aslan determined.

With a mighty roar, Aslan charged into the trees. Red Feather transformed into her hawk form, close behind him.