Epilogue

Red sat quietly at the head of the table in the Great Hall. Her eyes were focused on her hands placed in her lap.

Oreius, Mr Tumnus, the Beavers and Mr Fox sat in the chairs around the table.

"So, what do we do now? We need someone to lead us?" Mr Fox asked.

"Red Feather will have to lead us", Mr Beaver replied looking up at her.

"Hmm" Red lifted her head, though she hadn't heard what had been said.

"He said you will have to lead us, dear", Mrs Beaver said calmly.

Red stayed silent for a moment. "I'm not sure I would be the best to lead".

"Of course you are. You were the closest to our Kings and Queens. Not to mention you were Peter's protector during the Battle", Mrs Beaver consoled.

"But I can't protect the whole of Narnia. It would be impossible".

"We're not asking you to. Just that you guide us as they did before", Mr Beaver spoke lightly, "look I know it's hard. Peter and his family are gone. We don't know if they will ever come back".

Mrs Beaver nudged her mate hastily, "the point is, dear, is that you will have everyone here to support you. You will not have to go through this alone".

Her words were kind. Red Feather did not doubt her skill as a warrior only her strength to lead an entire nation without Peter by her side. Red stood up and pushed her chair back. She walked over to Peter's throne. Her hand stroked the marble. Walking behind the throne she looked up and prayed to Aslan for guidance. She felt a presence and was filled with encouragement. Though He and Peter were not by her side physically, she trusted in them both and put her faith in them.

Red Feather walked to the front and stopped by the marble steps.

"We will continue to live in the same dignity and love as our Kings and Queens. And when they return, their home will be just as it was when they left. And though they are not here in person, they are always here in spirit. In that comfort, I take my place as the Protector of Narnia and I hope I have your support. I'm sure I will need your guidance more than ever".

Throughout the day, Red helped organise the storing of all the Kings and Queens possesions. Though, there was one possession missing: Susan's horn.

Red stopped a faun soldier, "Has the Queen's horn been located, yet?"

"No, my Lady"

Red huffed in frustration. She was not one day in her new role and she couldn't even complete a simple task. All she wanted to do was make the Kings and Queens proud. But of course, there had to be something. 

"I'm sure it will turn up" Mr Tumnus' soothing voice spoke. Red Feather turned around to see him smiling at her with a book held behind his back. "These things have a way of getting back to us".

"I hope so", she said sombrely. She looked out into the distance. "I think I might just take a walk".

Mr Tumnus bowed politely and watched Red fly down to the beach. 

Red Feather watched the waves come in and retreat over and over. She tried to distract herself of other matters but her mind always wandered back to Peter. Red looked up at the cliff edge at the end of the beach. Without a second thought, she flew up to the cliff edge and let the wind hold her. As soon as the breeze stopped she fell to the grass. Red thought of her last moment with Peter. The more she thought about it the more frustrated she became. Should she have gone with him so that she wouldn't lose him? I should never have let my guard down and kissed him, Red thought. She punched the grass until her knuckles stung. She looked at her now green-stained hands and lightly stroked them to easer the sting.

Red Feather watched the sun falling behind the horizon. A single tear fell from her eye. 

Quietly, Red whispered to the air:

"See you at sunset, my love".

The Lion's roar echoed over Narnia as the sun fell on Cair Paravel.