Chapter 7

The sun appeared brighter than ever as it shined above South County High's vast plain where students were scattered in all directions, engaging in the usual social construct that is established right after school hours; a crowd of students near the school exit, another dozen students at the lower deck engaged in a furious football match, their determination towards securing the ball could have been easily mistaken for a street brawl, and a plethora of groups varying in sizes scattered througout the school ground. The occasional shouts from the football match, the noise generated from the different conversations students were having, combined with the sound of the gatekeeper calling out for students whose tranports have arrived to pick them up - all of this noise, along with the heat made the entire after school hour feel nasueating.

However, today was different. Today didn't feel that naseating, well at least for Roger, who was sitting on bench, under a shady tree, absorbing the view that streched from the school's main entrance and all the way to the canteen. Infact, Roger wasn't nauseated at all. He was rather energetic today, and the energy was built up as a result of anticipating Elisa's arrival.

What's taking her so long?

Roger looks at the time on his cellphone.

2:07PM. What? It's only seven minutes past two? But I'm never this early. Gosh, a day and a half and i'm already starting to lose my mind over her. Keep it together Roger.

''Hi Roger!'' Roger swiftly shifted his gaze from his cellphone to the direction of the voice. It was Samantha, walking down the school ramp and towards the bench Roger was sitting on. ''You're hear early today. What's the ocasion?''

Roger knew he didn't have any good reasons for being there this early besides the reason he wouldn't want to disclose to Samantha - at least not yet. Not because he doesn't trust her, but because he felt a little overwhelmed by his emotions.

''Hey Samantha'' Roger responded with a smile. ''Nothing special, just felt like escaping class quickly. Come, sit'' while gesturing towards the empty spot next to him on the bench.

He was obvioulsy lying through his teeth.

Samantha put her bag aside and sat next to Roger. ''Gosh it's so incredibly hot today. And the math test...urgh! I need an early vacation. I am failing maths so badly! I have no idea what to do! I don't want to disapoint my parents with bad grades! They do so much for me, the least I can do is repay their efforts by giving them the joy of seeing their daughter get good grades. I feel awful!''. Samantha stopped talking while Roger was looking left and right as far as his position enabled him, just like how he was while Samantha was talking.

''Roger?'' questioned Samantha, while observing how Roger was looking around. ''Roger? Hello?'' Roger's eyes shoot back at Samantha, clearly unattentive when Samantha was talking. ''What are you looking for? You didn't even hear what I was saying. Is everything okay?''. Roger realised how rude it must have felt to not being paid attention to. ''I'm so sorry. What were you saying again?'' said Roger calmly, while still looking slightly flustered.

''Forget about what I just said, are you okay?''

''What do you mean?'' replied Roger defensively.

''I mean, you look concerned, is there something bothering you? asked Samantha, while paying close attention to Roger's expression, as if trying to get the answer before Roger even utters a word.

''Nothing, nothing, it's just the hot weather that's been annoying me.'' said Roger while looking away from Samantha in order to hide his impatience and anxiousness over meeting Elisa.

''You sure?'' Samantha grew suspicious. ''Sitting here all by yourself this early, flustered and looking here and there, something just doesn't feel right. Tell me Roger, what's bothering you, you know you can always share anything----''