OS Number 16 - Inspired by Nenjukulle song

Song and Character Credits – All rights belong to their respective owners

Mullai had been sitting on the steps on the rooftop terrace and was deep in thoughts. Her hand was playing with the chain on her neck.

Nenjukulle Omma Mudunjirukken (I have engraved you in my heart)
Inga Ethisayil Enn Pozhapu Vidinjiruko (I wonder where my life is taking me to)
Vellai Paarvai Veesi Vitteer Munnadi (You looked at me with Love)
Idha Thangaatha Manassu Thanni Patta Kannadi (Which made my heart become like damp mirror)
Vanna Maniyaaram Valathu Kai Gediyaaram (Your colourful pendant or the watch in your right wrist)
Aana Puliyellam Adukkum Adhigaaram (Are enough to tame elephants or tigers)
Neer Pona Pinnum Nizhal Mattum Pogalaye Pogalaye (Though you left, your shadow haven't left)
Nenjukulla Nizhal Vanthu Vizhunthiruche (It is left in my heart)
Appa Niminthava Thaan Apuramma Kuniyalaye Kuniyalaye (I have never lowered my gaze from then)
Kodakambi Pola Manam Kuthi Nikkuthe (My heart is awake and alert like a steel rib of an umbrella)   

"Neeya soluvaenu paarthan aana ippo naan solli thaan aaganum. Kathiru, enakku chinnavayasu lenthae nee na rombavae ishtam. Ennayae nee kattikiriya?"

Her own voice kept ringing in her ears. The visual of Kathir walking away without saying a word kept playing before her eyes as if it had just happened moments ago. More than herself, Mullai could read Kathir like an open book and she knew from his eyes that he loved her. Yet his silence had been making her feel uncomfortable.

Patchi Urangirichu (The birds have slept)
Paal Thairaa Thoongirichu (The milk slept to curd)
Icchi Marathu Mela Elai Kooda Thoongiruche (Even the leaves of banyan tree have slept)
Kaasa Noikaarigalum Kannurangum Velayila (At a time when even the TB patients are able to sleep)
Aasanoi Vanthamaga Arai Nimisham Thoongalaye (The lady who is stuck with Love, is not able to sleep even for a moment)

The cold wind caressed her cheeks and Mullai shivers. She had been sitting there for almost an hour now yet, she did not move an inch. Mullai hugs her knees and looks up at the sky. She spots a bright star and automatically her face lights up.

Mullai was a firm believer of the universe. Her Appatha had told her that her Pandian Mama was now with God and to console her, she had pointed to a star in the sky and had identified that as Mullai's Pandian Mama. Since then, Mullai had always looked out for the brightest star. Apart from Kathir, her conversations with her Mama made every day complete.

"Ithu entha vithathula nyayam? Onnu sonna onnu serinu sollanum illa sorry mudiyathunu sollanum. Athena onnume sollama porathu? Yen Mama unga pulla ippadi irukaan? Romba mosam! Ippo paarunga naanthan thoogam varama polambikittu irukkaen! Avanuku enna, inneram nalla thoongittu irupaan!"

Oru Vaayi Irangalaye (I am not able to eat even a mouthful)
Ulnaakku Nanaiyalaye (My throat has not been wet through)
Ezhettu Naalaa Echil Muzhungalaye (For the last few days I am not able to swallow even saliva)
Ezhai Ilanchirukki Ethum Solla Mudiyalaye (This poor girl is not able to express herself)
Rubber Valaivikkellam Sathamida Vaayillaye (Like the rubber bangles which cannot make sound)

Since childhood, Mullai had shared everything in her heart with Kathir. It had always felt way more lighter at heart. Over the years, their friendship had slowly blossomed into love. Mullai had felt and seen it in Kathir's eyes. But, when it came to telling him her love, Mullai had always dreamed of Kathir taking the initiative. So, she had kept quiet and had instead shared her feelings with her Mama first. However, two days ago, Mullai had heard her parents discuss about her marriage. It was then that Mullai had no choice but to let Kathir know what was in her mind. This morning when she had done so, Kathir had not said a word and had instead walked away quietly.

As Mullai continues to rant, she hears her mother calling out for her.

"Tho amma kupiduthu. Naan ippo poi thaan aaganum. But please Mama, Kathiroda manasula enna irukkunu seekiramavae solla vechidunga!"

Mullai pleads and slowly heads back down.

Nenjukulle Omma Mudunjirukken (I have engraved you in my heart)
Inga Ethisayil Enn Pozhapu Vidinjiruko (I wonder where my life is taking me to)

Parvathy: Mela ennadi pannikittu irukkae. Seekirama poi thoongu. Ippo thaan phone vanduchu, naalaikku unna ponnu parka varanga

Mullai: Ennamma theedirnu?

Parvathy: Ellathaiyum nalaiku pesikalaam.

Mullai: Amma, please. Ippo yenna avasaram?

Parvathy: Oru vaati sonna ketuko. Poi thoongu.

Mullai watches as Parvathy goes into her room. She turns to Murugan who is also about to leave to the room.

Mullai: Appa, please pa. Kalyanam ippo venda

Murugan smiles at her before walking a few steps. He turns back and speaks.

Murugan: Appa sonna kelu ma. Poi thoongu. Illana kanellam veengi poyidum. Aprom Kathir maapila unnai vendaamnu sollida poraru

Mullai stares as Murugan moves to his room and her brain slowly processes what he had just said. Mullai smiles shyly. She closes her eyes and mutters a quick thanks to her Pandian Mama. As always, he had made everything happen just like she had wished for.