Chapter 3

The soldiers drove the horses hard.  They did not stop to eat.  They made two quick stops to allow soldiers and children to relieve themselves.
The younger children had been loaded into the carts and older young people, in their teens, rode double with some of the soldiers. 
At the outset, Gisse had tried to find a place to sit.  The wooden floorboards of the cart, however, were hard and uncomfortable, and every jolt of the cart was felt right through her spine, so she decided to stand.
She stood right in front, just behind the driver.
She loved to watch the horses. The muscles on their backs rippled up and down as they strained against the weight of the cart. When pushed hard, lather from the sides of their mouths would fly off. Gisse felt the drops hit her face. She didn't mind. It was better than the smells emanating from some of the children behind her.

She put her head right next to the driver's ear so he could hear her. "They are beautiful" She said. The driver nearly dropped the reins. "You crazy kid! I nearly died of fright. What did you do that for? "
"Sorry, I just remarked how beautiful the horses were"
The old soldier, ex soldier actually, wasn't used to someone talking to him. Especially one of the children. This was a first. Usually he travelled with only his own thoughts to keep him company. But Gisse had hit a nerve. His one love in life was horses. So he answered,
"I hate pushing them so hard, but we always race to get across the Jordan river the first day. From tomorrow things will slow down a bit. One can't go galloping across the mountains anyway. It's too dangerous. Normally takes us the best part of two days to get across the Hermon mountains."
Gisse wanted to know more, "I can see you love horses. How did you land up here?"
"I used to be a soldier but after many years of service I got too old for active service. The Captain of the Aramean army knew that I had a great love for horses. So, instead of paying me off, he made hostler to the army. Now I am surrounded by all my children, by the ones I love, my Arabian beauties."
"That is an amazing story. Thank you for telling me." Gisse said. The old soldier smiled,
"You are so different from the other children. No one has ever spoken to me while we travelled before. I suppose the children hate us because we take them away from their homes. I understand. When some of the soldiers mistreat their horses....my horses, my children, I get so angry. Believe me I know how you feel. I wish I could change things. I'm sorry."

Gisse squeezed the driver's shoulder in acknowledgement of his apology. She knew she should hate these people but if Yahweh could forgive a person like Oded, would He not expect her to forgive her captors.
Gisse couldn't say God spoke to her, but what she could say is that she felt strongly that she was destined to be used by God, and that was exciting.

The driver was trying to say something but she couldn't hear above all the noise, so she went nearer.
"We haven't got far to go now. You should see the Jordan river any time now. We'll make camp a little further on, once we are on the other side? Oh! One more thing, prepare to get wet. The children have to swim or wade across if the water is high. The cart has to be pulled across empty with ropes. The horses are unhitched. If I was you, I would ask Jaden to take you across on his horse."
Gisse looked surprised. Then asked. "Who is Jaden?"
The old soldier replied, "The soldier boy who captured you of course!"