Chapter 11

Naaman's convoy stopped at the house where Elisha was staying. Jaden was asked to knock on the door and request a meeting with the prophet. Gehazi, Elisha's servant, opened the door. Jaden made the request on behalf of Naaman. Gehazi disappeared inside the house, leaving the men waiting outside. He reappeared and nonchalantly said, "Tell the man with leprosy to submerge himself 7 times in the Jordan river and his flesh will be restored and he will be cleansed."
Gehazi closed the door. The men looked at each other bewildered. Jaden banged on the door again. Gehazi opened. Jaden demanded an audience with Elisha. Gehazi merely said, "The prophet has spoken." And closed the door once more. Again Jaden knocked on the door. This time nothing happened.

By now Naaman's patience had worn thin. He wheeled his horse around and galloped off down the road leading out of town. His men having received no command, followed their master who was now just a cloud of dust further down the road. It took some time to catch up to Naaman. He was still furious. When they were in earshot he spoke out in anger. "Who does that prophet think he is. He is supposed to be a man of God but he has not have the decency to speak to me face to face. What nonsense he instructs. We crossed the Jordan when we arrived, did you see the condition of the water? I think I will pollute my body with a hundred different viruses if I bathe in that cess pool. Come we camp on the banks of the Jordan. Tomorrow we go home."

That evening, after they had set up camp, his servants had come to Naaman and implored him, saying, "Master, we are here camped at the Jordan river, will you not reconsider and do what the prophet instructed. It will not take much extra effort. Surely if the prophet said 'climb Mount Heron and be healed ' you would have done it?"
Naaman was still angry and chased the servants away. "Side you now with the enemy? Go away and leave me alone."

He sat in his tent discouraged, frustrated and disappointed. Had he come all this way for nothing! He scratched in his portmanteau looking for his night clothes when he came across two parcels, one smaller than the other. He had not noticed them before. He opened the smaller one first. When he saw it was a note from the slave girl, he cursed and crumpled it up, throwing it on the tent floor. He angrily muttered, "It's all your fault. I should never have listened to you. Look how your man of God treats me....where is your God now? I thought you were special. You disappoint me"

He opened the other parcel. It was from his wife. It contained a small loaf of sweetbread made with ginger. It was his favourite. Also in the parcel was a small statue of Rimmon, their God. The parcel also contained a note. Naaman read.
My beloved husband, you have not left on your quest yet and I am already lonely. I will pray for your healing and safe return everyday. I hope your mission will be successful. Think of me as you will be in my thoughts everyday. I love you.
In the other parcel is a note from Gisse. She insisted on sending it with mine. Please read it. She praises you everyday for rescuing her from that terrible slave master. She asks a favour of you. If it is at all possible, please grant it.
Your loving wife
Eadith.

Tears formed in Naaman's eyes. His mood improved. This was just what he needed. He took a bite of the gingerbread. It was a little stale but he didn't mind. His wife made it for him and that was all that mattered.
As he was chewing, his eyes fell on the crumpled piece of paper at his feet. He picked it up. Could he blame a child for the behaviour of grown men. Her faith in his healing was so strong it became infectious, his wife, his friends and even himself, all had hope because of the little slave girl.
He smoothed out the paper. Wiped his eyes dry, and read.

My dear master, thank you for always being so kind to me. I am but a slave but you and my mistress Eadith treat me more like a daughter.
As you know I love to read the scriptures and history of my Hebrew God, Yahweh. I prayed and asked Yahweh to give me a sign that I could share with you, to encourage you.
He took me to the story of one of our early fathers, Joshua. He led our people across the Jordan river into Canaan, the land Yahweh promised us. Once he accepted the responsibility of crossing the Jordan river he became a leader, he became special.
Once you made the decision to cross the Jordan into Canaan, my master, you became special to Yahweh.
My God then led me to the story of our prophets Elijah and Elisha, who parted the Jordan river so they could cross from Canaan into Syria. Again once they crossed the Jordan something wonderful happened to them. They were changed. Elijah was taken up into heaven. Elisha was given a double portion of Elijah's ability as the new man of God. I believe once you have entered the Jordan river a second time, Oh master, you will also be changed. You will be twice the man you were before. I bless you with these words I have read.

There is one thing I desire. I want to make sacrifices to Yahweh. However it is written in the scriptures as follows:
Make an altar of earth for me and sacrifice on it your burnt offerings and fellowship offerings, sheep, goats and cattle. Wherever I cause my name to be honoured, I will come to you and bless you.
If my master has the time and inclination, please bring me some earth from Canaan that I may build an altar as instructed by Yahweh.
Your devoted slave servant,
Gisse

Early the next morning, Naaman threw his cloak over his shoulders. Under the cloak he was wearing only a loincloth. Opening the flap of his tent he walked down to the river. His soldiers and servants looked at one another. Shrugging their shoulders, they followed slowly, keeping their distance. What was their master going to do.
When Naaman reached the water's edge, he discarded the cloak and entered the river. He walked into the river until the waters closed over his head. For a few seconds the members of the convoy gazed on with worried faces. Naaman broke surface and staggered, shivering up the bank, water dripping off his body. Jaden, the first to come to his senses, grabbed a towel from the hands of a servant standing nearby. He rushed forward and handed the towel to his General. Naaman wiped his face. Their eyes met. Both men nodded. Naaman in thanks for the towel. Jaden in acknowledgement for his commander's actions.

Naaman turned and repeated his previous procedure. Again Jaden handed him the towel.
When his shivering abated a little, he again went into the water. The Jordan was fed by subsidiaries flowing from the surrounding, sometimes snow capped mountains, making the temperature of the water, icy cold. Naaman didn't even realise he was shivering. He concentrated on counting the amount of times he submerged himself in the river.

When Naaman went into the water for the seventh time, everybody moved closer. They pushed and shoved their way for a better vantage point. Everyone wanted to be close enough to see Naaman's skin when he came out the water. Naaman emerged from the river, Jaden went forward to throw his cloak around the shivering man, but he could not. His eyes beaming, he proclaimed, "Blessed be the God of Israel, a miracle Worker."
As the General walked up the bank, shouts of joy filled the morning air. Soldiers and servants alike threw whatever they had in their hands into the air. They hugged each other. They embraced each other. Their journey was not in vain. Their joy was complete.

Naaman didn't even look at himself. The reaction of his men said it all. He knew from what he felt inside that the restoring of his skin wasn't the real miracle, Gisse was right, he had changed!