Chapter 10

Naaman entered the great hall and walked across to where king Ben-Hadad sat waiting. He had requested a private meeting with the king.
Naaman bowed and recited the usual greeting, "Mighty king, blessed and favoured by Rimmon. May you reign forever. Your enemies tremble at the sound of your name. Receive the praise of your servant."
Naaman remained bowed. Ben-Hadad noticing the severity of his General's affliction quickly replied to the greeting. "My General and friend, rise. Why have you taken so long to come and see me. Have I not called you my son. Your wellbeing is of importance to me. Come sit. I see you are greatly distressed. Tell me all."
Naaman, had been delaying any audience with the king, hoping he would be healed before his next meeting. Realising his condition was getting worse, and on insistence from his wife, he now sought the help of his king. After informing the king of the many visits and unsuccessful treatments from physicians far and wide, he concluded his report by mentioning that there was someone abiding in Samaria, Israel, who could possibly cure him.

The king, fuelled by genuine concern and the fact that his fame and glory were largely due to the fact that Naaman's battle strategies had resulted in overwhelming victories for the Aramean army, said,
"If there is any hope that your cure lies in Israel, don't delay. My riches are at your disposal, take what you need, no! Take more...there is no price high enough that I wouldn't pay for the healing of my esteemed General. Go now, make the necessary arrangements and send my scribe to me, for I will write a letter, bearing the royal seal, to the king of Israel requesting he cure you."

Naaman set off for Samaria with a large convoy, consisting of numerous pack animals carrying gold, silver and expensive clothing. His own private guard, soldiers selected from the army. Amongst these rode Jaden. The only soldier who had volunteered to accompany the convoy. The rest of the guard were conscripts. Naaman's chariot was inspanned initially to help with food and supplies but the men, fearing he would get to a stage where he could no longer ride his horse, wanted a mode of transport where he could be made more comfortable.

The journey took them just under 4 days. They arrived at Joram's palace late afternoon. Jaden had taken the fastest stallion and galloped ahead. The Israelite king was not aware of their visit but Jaden had managed to secure an audience with the king for the following day and arranged for the visiting party to spend the night in palace accommodation specifically designed for visiting dignitaries.

Joram, surrounded by his advisors, sat nervously awaiting the Aramean envoys to arrive.  He was a person who saw the worst in every situation.  A trait that frustrated and exasperated his older advisors.  He had inherited them from his father's court.  His father, Ahab had been a corrupt king, building idols and leading the people away from worshipping the one true God. His mother, Jezebel, led the people to worship Baal. Ahab a corrupt king, had at least been decisive in his decisions.

After entering Joram's court, Naaman explained his situation and handed over the letter from king Ben-Hadad. Joram started to read the letter, suddenly he jumped up, he was ashen pale, he ordered Naaman and his companions to leave immediately and to return to their rooms. As soon as Naaman left, king Joram tore his clothes and wailed in a loud voice.
"I knew it! I knew it! This leprosy tale is only an excuse to bring their armies and slaughter us. We are doomed."
The younger advisors tried to calm the distraught, paranoid king. The older ones merely looked at one another, shaking their heads. They grew tired of the king's tantrums.
"What says the letter?" They asked.
"King Ben-Hadad says I must heal his General. Who does he think I am....God? Have I the power to create life, to put new skin on this leper. I say again this is a trick. No word I speak, nothing I do, will be the response they seek. If war comes it will be my fault. The people will hate me."

One of the old advisors whispered to his colleague. "Lest we take matters into our own hands, we are all doomed. Go quickly and send a messanger to the man of God, the prophet Elisha. Tell him what the king has said and done. He will know what to do.

The messenger returned the following day. The old advisor led the messenger himself into the presence of the king, with a warning that he say nothing of who sent him. The old advisor bowed and said, "A messanger has arrived from the prophet Elisha. Here is his word."
The king sat with his head in his hands. Clearly he slept very little, if at all the night before. He mumbled, "I have no strength to read his message, for I know his words will sting like a bee. Therefore speak his words to me. Perhaps the poison of his message will be diluted through your mouth."
The old advisor took the paper from the messenger and read aloud, "Why do you rent your clothes and moan. Are the men from Aram not correct to think that Israel has a mighty God. You say the truth that you are not God, that you cannot give life, and yet you do not call on the living God who can do all things. You think if you cannot have the Lord's ear, no-one can. Let it be known this day that there is a prophet in Israel. Send the servant of the king Ben-Hadad to me. Even if you do not acknowledge the power of the God of Israel, this man shall experience it and be saved."

Joram scowled, "I am tired of being rebuked by this prophet, does he not realise I am king that he speaks to me like a naughty child. I wash my hands of this matter.....send the Arameans to Elisha. Let them also experience the insolence of this ill-tempered man of God.