say anything

The fairy light adorned walls of the cafe are brightening up the entire space. They're really the only source of light during that gloomy morn, with as little sunlight as the earlier hours (if not less). The drunk but still diligent minded Crystal is sitting in one of the booths, accompanied by a cup of coffee on her right and Gigi in front of her, with an ever so worried look on her face.

"You know I can take the shift" Gigi mumbles softly, running her finger around the brim of her own coffee mug. "You look like shit. You know you aren't gonna get tips by just serving coffee"

"This is why I don't like having you here" Crystal utters, leaning forward and resting her head against the cold table. "Always judging my work skills, you cunt"

"I'm sorry miss thing, it's literally just the truth. You aren't shit without a pretty smile and nice hair" Gigi laughs, taking a hold of Crystal's hand softly.

Crystal laughs briefly, it being muffled against the table.

Gigi takes a quick sip of her coffee. She ponders for a second on what she should say next, which is hard considering she's just about to run out of ways to fuck with the already frustrated girl almost blacking out right in front of her.

Crystal groans as another wave of headaches hit her.

"We can also go home you know" Gigi sighs, letting go of Crystal's hand that's starting to sweat. "We have enough money for rent anyway, those tips are useless if we're not going out to eat later this week. Take the rest of the day off"

Crystal lifts her head up to look at Gigi. Though it's only around 5am, she's already smiling with a full beat on. Crystal needs that kind of motivation and happiness to get her through the rest of her days. Gigi also deserves that energy from her. No one wants to deal with anyone in the same mindset as Crystal during those early hours. She deserves a friend who isn't grinding her forehead onto the table, getting what remains of her foundation on it.

"Let's watch a movie or some shit" Gigi sneered, getting up from the booth. "Come on angel"

Gigi offers her hand, as Crystal looks at the contribution.

She bites her lips as she examines Gigi's hand. She has been trying to get over the crush towards her, and holding hands with the girl she's slowly falling for is nothing but a ticket back to the starting line.

There's always a very small part in her that makes her feel like she's holding Gigi back. That the only reason she lives with her is that splitting cabs and rent is gonna be cheaper. Gigi could be truly anything if Crystal wasn't there, constantly needing her home to cook, pay the bills, and whatever dumb Sunday activity she comes up with. She also knows that Gigi could've gone farther by now if it wasn't for Crystal wanting to get an apartment together a few weeks into their friendship. Or if not farther than this, then at least getting a better life than living tip-to-tip and paycheck-to-paycheck with her dyke friend.

They aren't in the best possible state. Not in the state Crystal wants to stay in, and not in the state she knows wouldn't make Gigi consider leaving.

Crystal looks at Gigi quickly, and takes a grip of her hand with a humble grin on her face. Fuck it, she's cute.

-

The sun is slowly starting to conquer the town around 7am, as the cars begin filling the roads and the early hour workers start jamming bus stop after bus stop from Rue de Rivoli to Avenue Montaigne and so on. Gigi watches down at the people from the balcony, smiling, and waiting for Crystal to get up and start complaining about the same headache again.

When Gigi thinks about their lives as a whole, or in the big picture, it's actually quite nice. Nicer than life back in Illinois at least. A two-bedroom apartment, just a few blocks away from 31 Rue Cambon where Gigi goes right after a good payday and an extra $200 tip in her pocket from a middle-aged man who thought she was pretty.