NOTE/Prologue

this is just a recap/summary of the movie unbreakable so.. until the next chapter..

David Dunn was born in Philadelphia in 1960. Little is known about his past except that he nearly died by drowning in a pool at his elementary school. Since the incident, safety precautions around the school's pool area have been more strict, and Dunn's story has become an urban legend among students. As a result of the trauma he endured, Dunn developed a phobia of water.

As a student at Philadelphia University, Dunn was a star athlete and aspiring professional football player. However, what could have become a promising career was derailed after a near fatal car accident involving his girlfriend and future wife, Audrey. Although he was uninjured in the crash, he used it as an opportunity to feign a career-ending injury so that he could have an excuse to give up football and remain with Audrey, who despised the sport. Audrey and Dunn eventually married and had a son named Y/N.

After years of marriage, Dunn's relationship with his wife has strained to the point where they are planning for divorce, and Dunn has decided to seek employment in New York City after having worked as a security guard at the stadium where he used to play.

The accident 

On a ride back home to Philadelphia, David is a passenger on a train that crashes, resulting in the deaths of 131 passengers. Not only is he the sole survivor, but he emerged from the accident completely unscathed. He reunites with Audrey and Y/n as they wait among other families of victims at the hospital. He later attends a mourning service for the deceased passengers. After the service, Dunn finds a card on the windshield of his car with the words "Limited Edition" engraved on the front. Hand-written in black marker on the inside of the card is the question "How many days have you been sick?". David asks both his employer and Audrey the very same question, yet neither can recall him ever being sick.

Dunn takes his son Y/n to the Limited Edition comic book art museum, where he meets the man responsible for the card: Elijah Price. Elijah explains that he has a disease known as Osteogenesis Imperfecta Type 1; which results in frail bones that are easily breakable. He tells Dunn that he had theorized that if there was someone like him in the world then there must be someone who is the opposite of him, someone who is unbreakable. He goes on to explain that he had been paying attention to the city's recent disasters--a plane crash and a hotel fire--waiting to hear a particular combination of words. He tells Dunn that he's finally heard them regarding the train crash--"There is a sole survivor and he is miraculously unharmed" and that he believes that he has found the man he was looking for. This interests David at first until Price mentions that he believes Dunn to be a modern-day superhero, someone that comics based themselves on. This throws Dunn off and he accuses Price of being a scam artist. He then leaves with Y/N to go home. At home, Audrey tells David that she believes it is a miracle that he survived that train and wishes they could over again, even going as far as asking him out on a date.

One day at work, Dunn gets a call that someone is trying to get in the stadium on a bogus ticket. He goes to see the person who reveals himself to be Elijah, who finds it strange that a person that doesn't think he is a superhero, takes a job that requires him to protect people. Dunn gets him a seat at the game and along the way, he gets a vision of a man with a camouflage jacket was carrying a silver gun with a black grip. Although David's vision was accurate (later confirmed by Elijah.) it doesn't help shake his skepticism. David returns home from work to with Joseph helping him with the weights. It is there, where they discovered David has limitless strength. Dunn later tries to test Price's theory, when he gets a vision that one of the customers is selling drugs. After searching the man finding nothing, he begins to doubt himself. Dunn then gets a call from Joseph's school, that he got hurt in a fight defending a girl. While in the office the principal remembers Dunn from back when she was a school nurse. She reminds him of the time he almost died in the swimming pool, which answers Elijah's sick question.