xxxiv. invitations (1)

"So, Miss Manoban," one of my investors, Hani, called me. I raised my head and looked at her. "How are you?" she asked. We're currently on a dinner meeting to discuss some important matters in the business.

My eyebrows automatically raised in her question. Nobody has asked me that kind of question for quite some time now. And.. I really don't know what I will say.

How am I?

I was about to open my mouth when she shouted, "Kook!" while waving her hands.

Kook? There's only one Kook that I knew. Jungkook. Jeon Jungkook.

Please, not him.

I tilted my head sidewards and my world suddenly froze. Everything slowed down. I became nauseous. My head throbbed. My hands began shaking. And my heart.. it started beating again.

I saw him looked at me with slightly opened mouth. He is with a beautiful woman wearing a white dress and pumps, her hair down with curls in the ends, and a light makeup. She looked angelic. I wish I looked like her. They look good together.

Wait, why do I care, right? It's like I have business to do with him. Yeah, I don't have any business with him.. anymore.

So I pretended that I didn't see him and went back on signing the papers. "I'm fine," I replied, "I guess.."

She just nodded, listening to me. "By the way, I'm sorry with what I acted earlier," she shyly said, obviously ashamed that she went shouting earlier. "That's just the bestfriend of my cousin," she furthur explained.

I know.

"Oh," I just replied. What would I say? That I knew? Nah, would never do that.

Her eyes suspiciously looked at me, "You seem to know him. You knew him, didn't you?"

I snickered, "Of couse, Miss Ahn," I smiled at her. "Who wouldn't? His company one of the most popular in the field of cars. Of course, I knew him," thankfully, I didn't stutter.

She just shrugged. She still looked unconvinced. God, Hani, stop asking questions!

In my peripheral vision, I saw him stood up and helped the pretty lady to stand up. They talked for a while and the lady started to walk away.

I was about to sigh loudly as a sign of relief that he's already leaving when he suddenly walked towards our table. He's not going here, right? Right?

Too much of my horror, he stopped in our table. Fuck, what is he doing? We're done, right? What the fuck is this?

"Hani," he spoke. I haven't heard his voice for a while. "What's up?"

Hani looked at him and smiled really big. "Kook! I've been great! You?" she looked at me, "Oh! She's Miss Manoban, the owne—"

"I know," he cut Hani off. Okay, that's kinda rude, though. "I know her,"

That made Hani laugh, "Of course! She's popular too, right?" Jungkook nodded which made her laugh harder.

Jungkook looked at me with furrowed eyebrows, he didn't speak but his eyes are asking me what in hell is funny. I just shrugged and didn't bother to look straight at him.

When Hani's laughter subsided, her eyes widened, "Oh! Before I forget!" she energetically said, and opened her bag to search for something. When her hand came out of her bag, she handed us... two envelopes?

When I looked at it.. oh. An invitation.

"I'm getting married! I'm expecting to see you guys there, okay?" she excitedly said.

Married? She's going to be married?

I think I'm gonna pass out. That word traumatized me to the highest level.

I was gonna excuse myself when Jungkook cleared his throat. "This is lovely. Expect me there, Hani," he kissed her in the cheeks. "I have to go,"

He took a step away from our table when he turned around, went to me, "I forgot," he kissed my cheeks, too. Then his lips went near my ears, and whispered, "Fancy seeing you here, ex-wife," then walked away.

I can't speak. Hani tried to ask me what's wrong but I just shook my head. When I saw him again today after almost 7 months after our divorce, the pain came rushing through me, opening the wounds that I thought are already healed.

Why? Why is this so easy for him? He doesn't really love me anymore, does he?

***

have you seen the teasers for hylt IM SO EXCITED 😭 AND STAY GOLD SOUNDS SO GOOD

almost 30k reads! thank you so much. :)