Enemy

If Krishna had wanted to have the most outrageous, ridiculous and unbelievable entrance in the history of mankind he had certainly accomplished that goal. Was this some kind of joke? Were they supposed to stand up and clap at his ingenuity? Or maybe they could garland him and declare him the court jester?

And worst of all, why the hell was he with HIM? The same man who had sworn to kill Arjuna for Duryodhana. The same man who had unjustly declared Draupadi a whore. The same man who had let Shakuni's evil scheme unfold in Varnavat. The same man who hated them with a passion that rivaled that of the Kauravas.

Arjuna exhaled sharply, anger flooding his senses at the sight of his bitterest, most hated foe in the company of his best friend. Even if the Mahabharata was over, it upset him that he had not made Karna pay for his sins. He hadn't broken his pride, shattered his arrogance and butchered his ego. He hadn't wiped away the smugness that lined his features, the conceit that curled his lips in a cruel, mocking smile that was always directed at him and his brothers. He hadn't defeated and killed that proud man, proving once and for all that Arjuna was better than him in every aspect.

But what hurt Arjuna more was the fact that Krishna had accompanied Karna. He curled his fingers into fists, wanting to smash them against the wall to vent out his frustration at the absurd scene playing out in front of him. Karna always wanted to take things that rightfully belonged to him. First, he had gatecrashed the royal tournament and insulted him and his teacher, declaring with intolerable haughtiness that he was the better archer. Then he had the audacity to compete for Draupadi, the Princess of Panchala's hand while in the midst of the most noble kings and warriors with good breeding and pure blood unlike him. And now this?

The three men made their way to seek blessings from Maharaj Dhritrashtra as the other kings gradually recovered from their shock. The sabha turned from a serious, sombre event to a gaggle of loud, boisterous voices that questioned the unexpected turn of events. Krishna turned to the crowd while his two companions seated themselves and flashed his characteristic, charismatic smile that did little to dispel the shock and confusion that had taken over the court.

"What is he doing with that Sutaputra?" Bhima demanded.

"Beats me. When has anything Krishna ever done made sense? But the bigger question is, how did Krishna find him? Didn't he disappear after the War?" Sahadeva bombarded them with one question after another.

"Right. No one knew where he was. No one could find him." Dhristadyumna added.

Arjuna shot a sidelong glance at his son and was surprised. Abhimanyu was nervously twisting his fingers and staring at Krishna as he sought to pacify the kings present in their midst. No wait, he wasn't looking at his uncle, he was staring at.........Karna?

"This is completely unacceptable, Vasudev Krishna. What exactly is that man doing here?" Madranaresh Shalya yelled out, his voice cutting through the pandemonium and clearing the path for a rational discussion.

"My dear King Shalya, I find it hard to believe that you do not remember Radheya. He isn't the kind of person you would forget." Krishna replied, staring intently at him.