Ch.11: Thirdly

Today was a new day and despite the lingering feeling of anxiousness from the aloof ending of yesterdays conversation you were willing to make the most of the day. You took some allergy medicine you bought from Nook's Cranny and headed near the plaza shovel in hand where Muffy was waiting for you near an already prepared patch of dirt.

"Hey hey Y/N! So are you ready for today's lesson in gardening!" Muffy said in an over the top chipper voice extremely excited to get her hands in that soil.

"Yup I bought my tools...well shovel... and I also took some medicine so that pesky pollen won't be getting the best of me this time around!" You say confidently

"Ah great well I bought you a little something seeing that this is your first time learning the ropes of gardening and flower breeding" Muffy reached inside her black pleather bag pulling out a rustic looking book made of some sort of canvas material. She reached out her hand offering you the book.

You carefully took the book reading the words written on the cover " Gardening 101: Intro to breeding and basic maintenance...Ah! A manual thank you so much Muffy I'll definitely need it."

"Oh Y/N it's no biggie...so any ideas for the new garden? Like do you have any particular breed of flower you'd want or color?" Muffy said giving you a curious glance.

"Well I do like F/C" you say pensively.

"Well I have some rose seeds on me right now... We can try breeding some F/C roses!" Muffy said gleefully.

You hurriedly flip through the pages in the book searching for tips on breeding flowers         "Hmm well this is the outline we need to follow for F/C roses, this seems pretty complicated though..."

"Well let's get to it!" Muffy said tossing you some rubber gardening gloves as well as a pack of seeds.

You and Muffy worked hard to precisely follow the instructions on the book, measuring the right distance from each flower as well as making sure to identify and sort each rose seed to put in their respective place. Despite being bent over the patch of dirt in the hot sun you had to admit that it was fun to see the small garden slowly come together. Finally after a few hours you and Muffy completed the intricate garden pattern, leaving you both exhausted but relieved.

"Hey Muffy why didn't Tiff join us, I thought she was also into this gardening stuff" You say now sitting under some hardwood trees next to Muffy, wiping the sweat off your forehead.

"Tiffany said she had to make an important call to her friend overseas they haven't been calling for a while but for whatever reason  her friend  just called her spontaneously, so I figured it must have been important" Muffy said concerned.

"Hopefully everything is good with her friend" you say genuinely wishing Tiffany's friend the best.

You both lay under the tree relaxing taking in the slight island breeze, suddenly Muffy got up abruptly  as if a thought had struck her out of her relaxed state "I can't believe it we totally forgot to put fertilizer on top! Just wait here Y/N I promise I'll be back soon"

"No problem Muffy go get the fertilizer I'll keep an eye out for any pesky birds" You say smiling. Muffy's silhouette get's further and further away until she completely disappeared from your line of sight. You were too distracted in the island bliss to notice the figure  creeping up towards you.

"Well well well, makes sense to see a low life like you covered in dirt, I guess you're returning to your natural habitat" 

"Hey Francine I see you have nothing better to do other than bother people..." you say rolling your eyes.