Prologue

One decision. 

That's all it takes to ruin a person's life. Or possibly several people's lives.

One carefully measured, rational, thoroughly informed decision, taking all angles and every spec of evidence into consideration. 

Or one decision that's made in a split second fueled by high emotions.

One decision that can't be retracted or changed. 

No matter how the decision is made, that one decision is all it takes.

“Not guilty.”

As soon as the gavel strikes the wood at the conclusion of the trial, Emma instantly regrets her decision. Even though she’d made a decision based on all the facts. All the evidence, or lack thereof.

The words echo through her mind on an endless loop.

Not guilty. Not guilty. Not guilty.

She will never forget those words or how they were spoken. She'll never forget the judge who spoke them or what the words implied. But mostly, she'll never forget the man who was spared the death penalty of those two single words. 

Not guilty.

Because of her.

Well, technically, a jury of twelve made the decision, but she was the forewoman; she was the person who changed everyone's minds when they were in disagreement with her.

He might have been guilty, but the prosecuting attorney didn't present enough evidence to convince her beyond a reasonable doubt, and she could not in good conscious let a possibly innocent man receive the death penalty. As a doctor whose job is to save lives, as a person who consciously and carefully ponders every decision she ever makes, she couldn't let a man be convicted without the adequate evidence. 

She saved a man from receiving the death penalty. 

But whose lives will be ruined because of her decision? Whose lives will be taken? Whose lives could have been spared if she let one man die? 

Who will pay the price of her decision?