chapter 4

Update!! the story line is kind of starting here.

~~~

I wake the next morning on my couch to a bang and something sounding like a knife on my cutting board. I'm just guessing, considering I've never used the thing.

A sliver of sunlight creeps through the curtains of my bay window, glaring right on my eyelids, making me groan. It's too bright. When another bang rings from my kitchen, I push the hair from my face and wipe the sleep from my eyes. Opening them, it takes a second for my vision to adjust and Harry's form to appear.

The last thing I remember is watching Sex and The City with him last night in silence. How did I sleep in later than him? And when did I let myself fall asleep?

"Morning sunshine."

"When did I drift off?" My voice sounds like I've swallowed a gallon of mud.

"About the time that redhead on screen tried on a set of fake nipples. You weren't fazed, but my entire world was blown. Do you women really wear those things?"

His voice is too perky and I need my boost of caffeine before I can even consider having an intelligible conversation with another human being.

Wait. I live with someone. Someone with an affinity for stealing.

Ignoring his question, I sit up, shifting my eyes around my apartment. Everything appears to be in place, but I can't be certain. Just as I stand to further investigate the smaller decorations of my apartment, he says, "I didn't take any of your precious books or knick-knacks. Would I still be here if I did?"

He has a point. Then again, he could have hidden them in his room. I bolt toward the hallway. "I have to pee."

"There's nothing in my bag either."

I whip around, seething at how easily he saw through my lie. "What if I don't trust you?"

He shrugs and points a knife in my direction. "Feel free to check, but I think you're gonna be disappointed."

As I enter his room, the first thing I see is the pristine bed, coral comforter still in place, matching pillows across the top. Did he sleep on the couch with me last night? And if so, why?

Bypassing that possibility for my more important mission, I crouch down to his bag and ruffle through its contents. There's a bag of Funyuns and another bag of Doritos, but besides that, it's empty.

My relief is fleeting. Threading my fingers through my hair, I sigh at my antics before dragging my shameful butt back to the common space.

Harry's waiting for me with his smile already in position. "Told you. Guess you don't have a reason to kick me out just yet."

I should apologize since I just accused the guy of swiping more of my stuff, but he had it coming. His actions will take time to fade and with it will come my trust. He just hasn't earned it yet.

Foregoing the apology, I sit in one of the three stools around my island and motion my pointer and middle fingers between my eyes and him. "I'm still watching you."

"You're my own personal hawk." His eyes crinkle in amusement before he lowers them to the cutting board and resumes chopping. What he's chopping exactly, I have no clue.

Wait. Are those my blueberry pop tarts and Frosted Flakes?

"Nice hair by the way."

My focus lifts from the mix and I narrow my eyes. Not only has he woken me but he's probably slept in the same space as me, stolen my food to make god knows what, and now he has the audacity to comment about my morning appearance.