chapter 7

I go about my routine quietly the following morning. Harry's passed out on the couch again—no surprise—and despite following through on my decision to trust him alone in my apartment, it's safer to let him sleep through most it. He works the lunch shift, making alone time inevitable, I'm just hopeful it doesn't come back to bite me in the butt.

He's snoring when I click the door closed and head to work, complete with my travel mug of life nectar and blueberry pop tart in hand.

I exchange greetings with the receptionist as I pass and then bury myself in James White's oh-so-riveting novel. I'm avoiding David's half of the floor for the sake of bypassing his daily status update. I failed to accomplish much work when I got back to my apartment yesterday, instead focusing on Harry. Funny how that's becoming a trend.

When my computer clock reads 11:55 A.M., I'm in the clear. Breathing a tiny sigh of relief, I pack my essentials to leave.

Kate swivels around in her chair. "The manuscript getting any better?"

"Nope."

"Bummer. At least you're halfway through."

I slide on a fake smile and give her a thumbs up. "Which means I only have to waste another day on this garbage."

"If it makes you feel any better, I'm making my way through a New Adult Romance where the leads use the term 'bae.' I've counted. They've said it forty-three times."

"A romance including protagonists who are ignorant enough to use a term of endearment actually meaning poop or a tedious depiction of the Joey Frost murders?" I put on a show, pretending to weigh the options. "It's a tough call, but I think I'd still rather have your assignment."

"Please–" she slams the palms of her hands together, "–take it off my hands. I'm begging you."

I laugh at her display. "Sorry, Kate, but that's your hell. I've got my own and it's more than enough."

"Yeah, figured as much," she grumbles as I reach for my purse. "So how's the new roommate thing coming along?"

"Good." The word drags out lazily.

Her eyes narrow. "What was that?"

"What was what?"

"The way you said 'good'. It was slow and comfortable, like you just had sex." Her eyes widen, her expression contorts in horror. "Did you two sleep together?"

"God no." My cheeks heat. "First off, I've only known the guy a few days. Second, he's my roomie. And third, I'm not that stupid."

She wipes her brow. "Whew. You had me worried for a minute. The last thing you want is to get involved with someone you're living with."

"Trust me. I know." I've had this conversation with myself already. Multiple times. And despite allowing myself to occasionally assess Harry's figure, I'm keeping my attraction to him under wraps.

But she keeps going. "Things would get awkward if you're not serious about each other or they could continue on and get really awkward if you broke up. You'd have to get a new roommate."

I set my purse back onto my chair and throw up my hands. "Kate, slow down. We didn't sleep together and we won't be sleeping together. Harry and I are just friends. At least, we're trying to be."

"Then I'd like to meet him." She's all cheer now that my relationship with Harry is strictly platonic. "Amber and I are planning a get together next Friday if you don't already have plans. Just something low key. She's DVR'ing the Giants and Cowboys Thursday night game for us to watch and we'll probably play a few games beforehand. You should bring Harry."