Journey from the Island - Baudelaires

Violet, Klaus and Sunny finally arrived at a destination not too far from the city. Docking their boat, Violet clambered onto the sandy shores, carrying Beatrice with her. Klaus and Sunny followed after, but stopped after seeing what their sister saw. 

"Briny Beach."

"And a envelope."

Indeed, there was an envelope sealed with wax, the design of an eye imprinted in. The VFD eye. 

Opening it up, they began to read:

Baudelaires,

We are pleased to inform you that you have been accepted into the VFD training program, tailored for talented and prodigious children who display excellence and bravery in the face of adversity such as yourself-I assume you know what 'adversity' means. We are also happy to tell you that we have picked up the Quagmire triplets, as well as prepared a surprise for you children. Please write your reply behind this letter and leave it under Bench 1 at the trolley station for Briny Beach. If you have accepted your spaces, please report to Briny Beach at two o'clock on Thursday, with all of your belongings, should you decide to bring some as VFD has provided everything necessary for your stay. Pleased to meet you, Baudelaires and remember, the world is quiet here.

Jacquelyn Scieszka and Lemony Snicket

PS. Something will be arranged for Beatrice :)

"Ah, so that's why my name could have been Lemony if I was a boy! Mother knew Lemony Snicket! I think we should go, what do you think?"
Klaus looked at Violet and Sunny. "I agree. This may very well be the only chance we get to learn about VFD properly, and see the Quagmires again for a very long time." The Baudelaires stared at the sky, thinking about all the Quagmires had done for them. Duncan and Isadora risked their lives for them; and Quigley, well, he helped them on their way through the Mortmain Mountains. Sunny smiled. "Poosh!" Which meant, "Yes, let's go." Scribbling down their reply, they left it under the bench as instructed and took the trolley to 667 Dark Avenue.

When Jerome Squalor opened the doors of his apartment, he was shocked and surprised to see Violet, Klaus and Sunny. "Baudelaires! How nice to see you!" Klaus shook his hand. "Nice to meet you to, Jerome. We were wondering if you would let us stay in the penthouse for a a while?"  Jerome nodded. "Why, of course, Baudelaires! And if you don't mind me asking, whose baby is that?" He pointed to baby Beatrice. "Well, she's Kit Snicket's daughter, but her mother died last year, so we've been taking care of her." Jerome smiled. "Alright then!"

The next two days spent with Jerome were definitely more fantastic then the days with Esme. They could do many things. But soon, Thursday arrived. Jerome and the children took the rickety trolley to Briny Beach. "Well, children! I guess this is where we part." Sunny nodded sadly. "Goodbye, keep in touch!" As soon as Jerome left, a building rose out of the murky depths of the sea. "Password?"

The Baudelaires looked at each other, instinctively knowing what is was. "The world is quiet here." Klaus called into the hatch. "Enter, Baudelaires." The four children climbed into the hatch and the eye-shaped cover closed soundlessly behind them.