Chapter 4

Time flew, and it was their senior year already. Everyone was raving about prom night, who was going with who, who was wearing what. The night teenagers finally learnt to be adults— with ladies in beautiful gowns as if it was a debutante ball and gentlemen in the loveliest tuxedos. The night that made the past few years of high school worth it.

"Has Liam asked you?" Andrew started a conversation while they were both walking to school that morning.

"Ask what?"

"Ask what?? To prom! Where have you been?" Andrew exclaimed in disbelief that Victoria was so out of touch with the latest happenings.

"Oh, that. I don't know," she shrugged and continued to enjoy the cool wind caressing her face.

"I'm sure he'll ask you, just wait." Andrew continued. He seemed almost more anxious than Victoria was.

Victoria couldn't be bothered about it. She looked up at the Sun and reached out her palms, to feel the warmth, she had always liked how sun rays slipped through her fingers.

=

Two days later, Victoria found a stalk of rose on her desk with a handwritten note 'Check your locker later' with a heart and a wink. She recognised those handwriting, messy but classy, just like someone she knew so well.

During recess, as she opened her locker, another stalk of rose fell out. She took it and gave it a good smell. She was already smiling unknowingly and blushing really hard. For the amount of time she had known Liam, the most romantic thing he had ever done was take her out for movies and dinners. No flowers, no handwritten note, nothing that made things too serious, just enough to blur lines but not enough to make a statement. Was he finally trying to make a statement?

"Will you go to prom with me?" Liam asked from behind, blushing, hand at the back of his neck, eyes on the floor. Just like how he first asked her to dessert after their first badminton training together.

When he finally brought his gaze up to meet hers, he found her smiling,

That was the only reassurance they both needed.