Chapter 5

Came the night they were all anticipating, everyone dressed up and decked up.

"Can't wait for us to get into college together! It's like we're finally living, can you imagine?" Victoria squealed as Liam invited her to the dancefloor for a waltz.

"Yes, certainly," Liam replied in a low voice followed by a gentle raise on the side of his lips, gazing into Victoria's hazel eyes.

He was right in front of her, yet she had never felt him this distant.

"Liam, what's wrong?" concerned, she asked as she pulled him to a corner of the hall and sat them down at the table.

"I didn't apply to college," Liam started. He paused for a moment but continued before Victoria could speak.

"I know that's what you want, but it's not what I'm heading for. I mean it is no longer what I'm heading for, my mom, before she--" there were tears in his eyes as he paused again to take a deep breath.

"-- before she left, she wanted me to be a badminton player so that's what I want to do. For my mom." He paused and looked up at Victoria, who seemed confused and was trying really hard to suppress her tears.

Time stopped, again, for the both of them. Liam dreaded the amount of time it took for Victoria to say a thing. Felt like hours, days, weeks, yet it was only a few seconds before she took a deep breath and let out an almost silent sigh.

"Sure, I understand, let's finish our dance." she managed a small smile as they waltzed back onto the dancefloor.

They continued to dance, to talk, and mostly to pretend like they had all the time in the world. They let everything else slip away as they held each in their arms, tightly and lovingly, as though they would never let go.

But, deep down, they knew. Somewhere along the lines, they understood that this was their last dance.

Power couple, remember? No words needed.