Chapter 3

Eight months later, Liam and Victoria were already the rumoured power couple in school. They were the talk of town. All the other girls were jealous of Victoria because she had Liam's heart. The brightest star in school was completely head over heels for her, although Victoria couldn't fathom this.

After all, she wasn't the prettiest, she wasn't a cheerleader, she was just another ordinary girl that likes to spend her time in the library. Although she liked to know why, she often pushed those questions away as she didn't want to drown herself in self-doubt. She knew they were heading for something special, but they never talked about it. Again, they had always avoided the topic of 'being in a relationship' just like how Victoria would avoid dwelling in her self-doubt. They enjoyed where they were, more than friends, less than a couple, they were comfortable like this. They could talk about the sky and the sea, their deepest, darkest secrets, their goals for the future and laugh about the most random things. They were both shy, but they opened up well to each other. They knew they had each other's back all the time.

Power couple.

"Hey, I have a silly question, your eyes, why do they always look like they're a bit tired and a little sad?" Victoria asked one day through WhatsApp. Millennials, they typed more than they spoke.

"Guess what happened during PE today!" Liam replied almost instantly, yet somewhat cold, somewhat distant.

Victoria knew well enough that Liam didn't want to talk about it, so she let it slide, trusting Liam would talk about it when he was ready.

Maybe that's why they were the 'power couple'. They respected each other's space enough to let them live the way they both wanted to.

So, they went on like this, blurring the lines, no one bothered to draw boundaries anyway. Maybe it was also best like this. Occasional 'love' emojis on social medias, spending time during recess (with their groups of friends, of course), the company they never knew they needed.

Maybe they were just too aware of the unspoken rule.

As they knew what they felt for each other, they also knew that 'love' wasn't something they needed right now. After all, what was 'love' to teenagers? How much did they know about the word and how much could they do for each other?

Young and naïve, they preferred to blur the lines.