prologue

Z A C H

"Matty! Matty catch!" I laughed, chucking the football at him.

He jumped up, securing the ball in his hands, glaring at me once his feet hit the ground again. "Cheater!" He exclaimed.

"How did I cheat? I threw it and you caught it! I didn't do anything." I teased, sticking my tongue out at him.

He grumbled under his breath, his eyes narrowing as he took off after me, chasing me all around the park. I laughed as I ran, the sound carrying throughout the entirety of the park. Running and hiding under the playground, I made sure to poke my head out of my hiding spot, taunting Matty playfully, my laughter carrying out again once my eyes land on him.  

Hiding under a climbing wall, I poked my head out, my eyes searching for Matty's lost figure. I furrowed my eyebrows when I couldn't find him anywhere.

"Matty?" I called out, my head tilting to the side in confusion and the slightest bit of fear, "Matty?"

"Boo!" Matty yelled from behind me, picking me up and tossing me over his shoulder.

"Stop!" I laughed, my racing heart thundering through my chest, the fear quickly being consumed with excitement, "You scared me."

"Sorry Zay." He chuckled, placing me down on my feet to ruffle my hair.

I rolled my eyes, scrunching my nose as I swatted his hands away. I wrapped my arms around his torso, his chuckle rumbling throughout his chest, making my head that was laying on his bounce up and down, before he hugged my back, his chin furrowing over mine as he swayed us side to side gently, his fingers drawing shapes into my skin.

"I love you, Matty."

"I love you too, Zay."

He didn't ask what's wrong. He always just knows, he knows that sometimes I just need to be held. I just need to have someone to ground me and wrap their arms around me to show me they love me. Matty just knows.

He nestled his chin into my head, a laugh bursting out of me as he fingers dug into my sides.

"Hey!" I gasped, squirming out of his hold.

"What?" He asked innocently, picking up the ball and throwing it at me again, "C'mon let's work on your arm, you can't be a pro football player without some lessons from a pro football player." He boasted.

"You are the farthest thing from a pro football player Matty, humble yourself." I scoffed, throwing the ball back at him.

"I am? Alright, show me your best throw and I'll catch it." He shrugged.

"Why don't you throw it?" I quested, catching the ball he threw back at me.

"Because I know you won't catch it." He smiled.

"I so would." I scowled. "Catch this then." I grumbled under my breath.

Taking a deep breath, I cocked my arm back, skipping a little before throwing my arm forward, snapping the ball out of my hands as hard and fast as I could. Stepping back, I watched as the ball soared over Matty's head, his arms barely brushing against the leather clad ball.