chapter 1

Z A C H

An irritated huff fell out through my nose. My stupid hands shaking as I tried to cover up the bruises displayed on my face.

"I deserved it anyways." I muttered, rolling my eyes at the mirror.

Leaving the bathroom, I quickly grabbed my backpack, replying an 'ok' to James who had texted me, informing me he was here to pick me up.

I head downstairs, avoiding looking at my father as he rummaged through the refrigerator, pretending I didn't see him, I basically ran outside into James' car, easily throwing on a fake smile as I jumped into the backseat.

"Hey guys!" I laughed, my hands patting the back of Cody's seat as he smirked at me from the rear view mirror.

"Someone's excited." He mused, his hand coming up to run through his hair.

"Fuck yeah I am, first day of senior year, one more year until I'm out of this hell hole and a few more months until I turn 18, what do I not have to be excited about?" I smiled, my top row of teeth sinking into my bottom row as the thought of leaving physically hurt my heart but somehow also brought excitement, but I can't leave Matty.

"Buckle up, kid." James told me from the front seat, switching the car from park to drive.

"Okay dad." I teased, securing the leather belt around my chest, leaning back into my seat as I rambled off about stupid topics.

"Dudes, if you think about it. Paying hospital bills is dead ass just paying not to die. That's so bullshit." My eyes widened in realization.

"Wait you kinda have a point." Cody spoke from the front, his voice airy as he weighted the impact of my words

"Don't I?! That's crazy. Free healthcare 2020." I declared. 

"Yeah you go start that buddy." James laughed, his eyes rolling coming out in the tone of his voice as he pulled into the Starbucks driveway.

"I don't like the way you're not taking me seriously, Mr. Kline. That's very homophobic of you." I hummed, twisting my head to side in mock disappointment.

I heard Cody choke out laughter as James sighed heavily, "Really?" He asked, my eye catching his eyebrow raising in my peripheral.

"Yes. Hate speech is what this is." I huffed, my eyes rolling into my head.

James didn't respond as he pulled into the drive thru, ordering 6 venti drinks, 2 vanilla iced latte's for for him and Kay, 1 caramel crunch frap for Riles, 2 iced caramel cloud macchiato's for Han and Cody, and a strawberry acai refresher for me. The employee handing the drinks to us an 2 cardboard box holders.

With a brief 'thank you' we were back on the road again.

"Are you seriously going to use that every time you're offended." James asked, his eyes roaming over me through the rear view mirror.

"That was a little homophobic but I'll let it slide, and yes, yes I will." I hummed, sipping on my drink with a small smile on my face.

Cody just snorted a laugh, his straw being chewed by his teeth as he mindlessly scrolled on his phone. James' cup in his hand as he took a sip occasionally, the other hand firmly set on the wheel as his eyes were focused solely on the road. The buzz of the static radio was small in the car, your ears straining to be able to hear it. The whizzing of the scenery besides the car, the colors blurring together, staring at it too long could either soothe you or hurt your head. 

The smile slid off my face when I realized no one was focused on me. My head falling against with a small 'thump'. My fingers brushing the cold exterior of the drink in my hand, my eyes closing as I reveled in self hatred. I hated myself. Every aspect. I still can't wait to die.