Chapter 43

I look for Asmund and Brynjar whom I haven't seen since this started. I walk over bodies getting back to the front lines after dealing with Grant. I try to see if these bodies are mostly ours or theirs. I pray for the latter.

I see Asmund fighting with multiple Okhotniki. It's five against one and Asmund is winning. I make my way towards him while fighting those that are coming at me. One woman tries to stab me in the shoulder but I block it with my hands to her arms and headbutt her, she falls to the side, knocked out.

I turn to my left and see Shane, Calli and Sophia kicking ass. They look a little tired but they're focused so I keep going. I watch my Kaznachey fight, but I can see how tired they are. They won't stop until I give the order or they're dead, they're true warriors. My original vampires are strong, they're not tired yet, they tear down anything that comes at them. But it seems like theirs's a never-ending amount of Okhotniki here. They just keep coming at us and I want this to be over. I'm tired of this.

I close my eyes and summon my power. I feel my skin change. I feel the energy in the air, the crackling inside myself. I'm ready. I open my eyes and everyone has stopped fighting. They're all looking at me. I make sure to keep my thoughts closed off and walk toward my mum who I can now see on the other side of the fighting.

I walk by Asmund and Brynjar, both puzzled and worried. I don't look at either of them. I keep my eyes on my mum. I pull my power into me as I walk, bringing it deep down, farther than I have let it go before. It winds up like a coil, waiting to spring. My mum sees me in this skin for the first time and shudders in disbelief.

"I knew they said you were the one, but I didn't believe it." She says before getting herself together, to that emotionless person I met in the lab.

"Believe it. I'm ready to end this, are you?" I ask.

She pauses for a moment. "To kill my own daughter will be painful, but I will do it for the good of man." She lunges toward me. A gun hidden in the jacket comes out and she fires right through my stomach. I feel myself fall to my knees. I'm in shock. My mum shot me.

She stares at me like she can't believe she's done it. With the ringing in my ears its hard to tell what she's saying but I hear Asmund screaming. The shock must've allowed my walls fall and he can hear my thoughts, my plan.

I look to Asmund who's running toward us and push a small string of power at him, forcing him to stop. He continues to scream at me. He stuck in place by my power. I look him in the eyes and give him a bloody smile. I've fallen for you you know. I know you don't do relationships, but I think we could've been a great one if only we'd had the time. I'm sorry I held my thoughts close, but I know you would never let me do this if you knew ahead of time. You were my strength, my shield, my love. It wasn't for long, but sometimes it's enough. Goodbye.

I know he hears my thoughts because his legs stop holding him. He crumbles to the ground with a look in his face I'll never forget. It's heartbreak.

I turn back to my mum who's close to me now. She grabs my hand. I pull her into me and let my power run through her. All of it. It pulses into her mind, taking the names of every Okhotniki before letting go. She's dead. I release my power to the winds. It takes my power to every person on my mums list, those on the battlefield and those in other parts of the world. I feel as it drags itself into every single Okhotniki in the world and wraps them up, suffocating the life out of them. They fall. I feel my power release itself into the world, taking away every part of myself with it.