Chapter 17

Adriana

'The creature stares at me, its greyish lips drawn up in a sadistic grin. My heart leaps, watching as its spine becomes more hunched and its deadly claws grow, sharp and black, protruding like daggers. It steps forward, followed by a white-eyed wolf that growls beside it. I try to step back but my feet seem stuck to the ground and my chest seizes as they come closer. I have no way to escape.

The tall creature opens it's mouth, displaying a row of needle-like fangs. It bends forwards, one of its hands clawing the ground and screeches.

I try relentlessly to get away, screaming though nobody can hear.

Arms outstretched, it leaps.

I hit at everything around me, kicking and screaming.

I don't want to die.

Please don't let me die.

My ears are ringing unbearably. I catch a glimpse of my hand, seeing that it is bloody.

I feel sick.

I scream. I can't move.

My arms and legs feel trapped. I'm shaking.

Is this it?

"Ria, its me."

I continue to struggle, my vision distorted by tears.

"It's ok."

Something touches my face, turning my head slightly.

"It was a dream, Ria. You're ok."

Sniffing, I blink away the tears and see Eros's face, my heartbeat slowing down and the dread starting to be replaced with guilt upon noticing his bloody nose. He shifts to kneel beside me, and I look around, not seeing any sign of the vampire like creature or the wolf, only a sleeping Venus who's wing is draped around me. I gulp, noticing that my throat feels sore and dry as I wipe away the dampness on my cheeks.

"Sorry," I croak, trying to sit up with help from Eros, once again noticing the blood trickling down from his nose as he aids in propping myself up against Venus.

He shakes his head. "Don't worry about it. It's already healing."

That doesn't make me feel any less guilt, although at least it won't be bleeding for long. I admit I had forgotten for a second that he's not exactly human.

Turning, he grabs the bottled water from before, handing it to me before rummaging through the bag of supplies. Immediately the water relieves my throat of the sandpaper feeling, but it still feels itchy. Just how much was I screaming?

An apple plops into my lap, making me jump, water sploshing down my front as I cough. I glare at Eros, but he just snorts.

"What," he chuckles. "I'll eat it if you don't want it."

He reaches his hand towards the apple, only for me to bat it away.

"No need for violence, sweetheart."

I scowl at him, not feeling really awake enough to think of anything to say other than "fuck you".

As I eat, I start to wonder where the less annoying members of our little group have gotten to. I know Alec and Kellen must be around somewhere, right? They bought these supplies to us after all. Maybe they're off catching up with Becca, whom I have remembered ditched me to run off with Emily. That sounds likely I guess. Yes, I'm sure thats what Eros told me. A soft hum from him confirms I'm right. I wonder if they've found her yet. If I'm being honest with myself, when I see Becca again, I don't know whether I could control myself. The girl needs a swift kick up the arse as far as I'm concerned for leaving like that.