☾ Chapter Thirty-Six ~ Nocturne ☽

Nocturne groaned to herself. She'd hoped they wouldn't have the guts to do something as open as this. Lunars and Solars alike rustled and shuffled to the edges of the vast room, attempting to get as close to the exists as they could without making it obvious that they were running. Sighing inaudibly, Nocturne stood and turned to face the approaching Sanctimonium, her sword leaping from its sheath into her hand with no more effort than a thought.

They weren't impressed, of course. It could never be that easy, could it?

Queen Asa stepped forwards. Her pose was confident and powerful, but she had no weapons, no active magical abilities. What could she possibly do?

Worry gnawed tiredly at Nocturne.

Asa's guards, lead by Emmie, filed into position around them, swords lifted and bows drawn. Aelius and Aurora were doing the same, coming down from their lofty seats with swords drawn and surrounded by the Kingsguard. Their two groups smoothly merged together, Aurora taking up her place beside Nocturne, King Aelius standing strong next to Queen Asa.

The white-robed invaders took up guard themselves, posting most of their warriors to stand with their blades drawn, watching over the frightened clusters of guests.

Through the great double-doors strode another figure, one flanked by guards with their hood and robes adorned in gold and rubies. Or at least what looked like them.

Nocturne squinted. For some reason, something about the figure seemed familiar to her. She scanned the crowd, but it was Aurora who spotted it first. "Arun isn't here," she whispered to the other three.

King Aelius shook his head grimly. "Oh, he most certainly is."

His sword did not waver, but the point dipped to face the cloaked leader that was rapidly approaching.

When the figure was within four meters, the guards stepped forwards and called for them- him- to stop. He took one more step, just to show he could, and stood still. A low rumble of laughter rose from beneath the shadows of the hood. It was laughter the opposite of mirthful. Growling, grating, and mocking.

He reached up and tossed back his hood. "Aelius... Is this really how you greet your father?"

Aelius stiffened beside Nocturne. He'd been expecting this, of course. They had all known ever since the doors had swung open and they had noticed his absence. But still, he'd hoped. They'd all hoped.

"If you attack my people and my allies, then your title as my father means less than your name as an enemy and as a traitor," he said, his voice low. Nocturne glanced at him. It was well-said, and quite brave. Yet she could tell how much of an effort he was making. Ironic, she thought. The effort of seeming brave was what made him truly courageous.

That was what bravery was, she realized. Bravery was finding a way through the fear that gripped you, not forging onwards heedless of it.

Nocturne smiled. Aelius, the King of the Bright Dawn, had grown into a far more fearsome foe than she- or anyone, really- had ever expected. She was glad he was on their side.

Ex-King Arun did not seem to notice, for he scoffed at his son's words and proceeded forwards, batting aside the guards like they were no more substantial than reeds. Soon, only Emmie and stood between him and the four leaders. Fortunately, for the moment at least, he chose to halt when Emmie's sword was pointed at his throat less than a meter away from the unflinching Aelius.

"A traitor, you say..." he growled, his eyes narrowing. "I think we all know the true traitor here is you! You may have stolen the throne, but you have led us into a terrible age of destruction and submission!" He gestured around the room. "You see what comes of working with these, these, these blasphemous weaklings!?"

Aelius stepped forwards, gesturing for Emmie to step aside. "I see only what comes of trusting you."

Arun snarled and stepped back a half step, turning around to wave his people forwards.

They swept through the crowd, blades flashing, breaking their containing structure. Many fled. Some Solars even allowed the Lunars to escape ahead of them as soon as they noticed what was happening. Surya, Nocturne noticed, was taking the lead in guiding everyone out the door as quickly as possible.

The Solars they caught fell to the cold stone floor, unconscious.

The Lunars they caught fell to the cold stone floor, dead.

The king-turned-terrorist's voice echoed through the chamber as more white-robed warriors rushed in, ignoring the fleeing guests and rushing to surround the four leaders of Light and Dark.

The four stepped back, taking up a defensive position, back to back, sword to sword. "Run!" Queen Asa commanded her disoriented guards. "Protect the people!" Aelius added his voice to the command.

Emmie looked reluctant, but she battered her way through the attackers to let her soldiers out and ran to protect the people of both Cities, now united by blood and fear as they had been divided by it before.

Arun shouted his command again, his voice booming as he struck, his massive greatsword clanging against Aelius' shorter longsword as he raised it to defend himself, muscles straining and heartbeat rising.

"Attack!"