Chapter Six

The sigh Simmons let out was long and she knew there was no way that he would believe her. Who would? She didn't when Jonathan told her. At least he didn't outright laugh at her. But then, this was about murders and there was nothing funny about that.

"I took you at your word, Miss Trevors."

"And I have been completely honest with you."

"I understand that you went through something traumatic. From what I've read and what I've seen, I don't blame any of this on you. However, I still have a job to do and this isn't helping."

"Truth is the only thing I can offer, detective. I didn't claim it would help you, even by helping me. I told you what happened on that mountain. I've answered your questions. It's not my fault if the truth that you wanted isn't a truth that you can use."

"Fine. Let's go over this right quick." Simmons leaned forward, eyes locked on hers. "The people that raised you as their own did so in order to sacrifice you to a goddess and then use that goddess to control vampires."

"Yes."

"Let's say all of that is true. It still doesn't answer the largest question. Who killed all of those people? Was that vampires as well?"

"All but one."

"And which one was that?"

"The woman that I believed would protect me from everything bad in the world. The woman I believed was my mother. Anne Trevors."

"Who killed her?"

"I did."

Simmons gave a slow blink and Nikolas tightened his hand around hers. She squeezed back, knowing that he would protect her. Wouldn't let her be taken away from them.

"Of course you did." He sat back in his chair, eyes glittering in the flames. "So, where are the vampires that slaughtered everyone else?"

"I'm not a deity, detective, but those people got what they deserved. The man I thought was my father cut an innocent girl's throat and let her bleed out to form a circle of protection from the vampires. They followed me and would have killed those that were protecting me, had they been human. You say they were slaughtered. I say justice was served."

"That doesn't answer the question."

"I don't believe you are ready for that answer."

"Don't concern yourself with what you think I'm ready for."

"Fine." She squeezed Nikolas' hand, letting him know she was about to expose him.

"I'll save you the trouble, lovely," her lover said and she glanced at his face. "I am one of those that slaughtered the people that were trying to kill someone under our protection."

Simmons laughed, a disbelieving sound, yet full of amusement and Chevonne looked at him. After a moment, he grew quiet. "In all my years on the force, and that has been a lot of years, I have to say that this is the most insane—"

Chevonne was watching Simmons so she didn't see what Nikolas did, but whatever it was silenced the detective. Not only did it silence him, but he jumped to his feet like he was shot from a cannon. Before she could blink, Simmons had his gun in his hand and her shout was lost in the deafening crack.

A low growl wove its way through the ringing in her head and all she could say was, "No."

Nikolas must have heard her because he stayed by her side.

"Impossible." Simmons breathed out.

She glanced back at Nikolas and discovered his eyes were black and his fangs were on display. And a dark red flower bloomed over his heart.