Chapter Twelve

Opening her eyes, she looked down at the weight across her body. Nikolas' head lay on her stomach and his arm was around her hips.

Once again, she somehow survived the horror that ruled her world.

But for how much longer?

She was so weak compared to them. So weak, a strong hand almost finished her off. A human almost killed her.

Madelyn. She needed to check on her. Needed to know that she was okay. The sound of her head hitting the wall was still echoing in her ears.

Softly, she ran her fingers through the sandy hair that tickled her with each breath. His arm tightened before he lifted his head and met her eyes.

"How do you feel?"

"I'm—" she stopped and touched her throat. How did it still hurt?"

"If you say you're fine, I'm going to hit something."

Maybe a whisper would work? "I'll be okay."

He gave a brief nod as he sat up and pulled her against his chest. "Don't talk for a while, okay?"

She looked at him and nodded.

"No one knew it, because why would he tell us that, but Livia had become a slave to Draven. She shared his strength."

"Tha—" So quick was she to forget. She pointed at her throat.

He nodded. "She did a lot of damage."

This next part was more important than pain. "Madelyn."

"She'll be okay. She's been awake and she ate something. She has a bad headache, but that's it."

She let out a breath and rested her head against his warm skin. His ringers ran through her hair and the movement almost sent her to sleep again. But she was thirsty. She stirred herself and sat up, Twisting, she held out her wrist and pointed to where a watch would go.

"Not late enough." Nikolas said. "The sun is still up, but not for long."

She nodded then moved her hand like she was drinking something.

"Stay out of trouble," he said and she almost laughed. A quick nod and she leaned over, giving him a soft kiss.

He lay back and she stood, looking down at him and thought hard about how thirsty she was. He looked good enough to eat and she was ravenous.

"Go. Get your drink. If you keep looking at me like that, I might forget you're hurt and make it worse. Those sweet sexy cries can drive me to distraction."

At those words, she turned and walked away before she gave in and let him make her cry out.

His laughter was dark and sexy and she looked back with a smile.

"Soon" she mouthed and he nodded. A wink and she left him to finish his sleep.

She made it to the kitchen and waited to see if Samuel showed up but there was no sign of him. Looking around, she eased one foot inside the room then the other. She did nothing, just waited and still no Samuel. Finally, she shook her head. If he found out, then he would be mad or he wouldn't. Hell, he was probably busy with Lily and why was she rubbing her chest?

But she needed coffee and she needed a phone. Phone. She couldn't speak.

Where was her phone? She could at least make a list of numbers.

On tiptoes, as if that would hide her presence in this room, she eased around the island and began making a pot of coffee. As it brewed, she headed back to Nikolas' room. There on the table.