Chapter Seven

Looking at the ringing device, she saw Jonathan's name.

She almost dropped it in her hurry to answer it.

"Jonathan, thank god. What's going on? Where are you? Is Madelyn okay?"

"Chevonne?"

The female voice surprised her.

"I am. Is everything okay?"

"No. I don't know. Jonathan said to call you. We were attacked and he's hurt. I'm supposed to drive us to you. But I don't know where to go."

"Madelyn, are you driving now?" Chevonne asked before looking up. All of her men and Kian were on their feet.

"Yes. He was able to tell me to get on the interstate before he passed out."

The air left her body in a rush. Think. Think.

"Tell her to come here. We can watch out for them."

"One second, Madelyn. I'm going to give you over to Elliot and he will tell you how to get here."

"Hurry. He's bleeding a lot."

She held out her phone and Elliot took it. Wrapping her arms around her waist, Chevonne sat back into the the couch. Caleb was saying something to Kian but she couldn't hear it. Nikolas was staring at Elliot.

Elliot gave Madelyn the instructions before breaking off. "Yes, I know it's a lot. And I know a lot is going on." He paused for a moment before glancing at Nikolas "What car are you driving?" Another pause. "Do you know the tag number?"

Nikolas gave Chevonne a quick hug before getting to his feet.

"I'm sending some people to find you. They will help you get here. No. I promise you, Jonathan will be fine." His eyes met hers and he nodded. "We'll take care of him." A longer pause. "Just focus on driving. This is no trouble at all. I'm going to hang up now and I'll tell the others so they know who to look for. You'll be okay. You have my word."

After a moment, Elliot handed her back her phone. "She's worried that they might be being followed. It's unlikely, as Draven won't want to leave his army, but to err on the side of caution, I'm going to meet her on the way. She's terrified and I don't think she will remember what I told her."

Chevonne nodded. "Who's going?"

He was silent for a moment. "I won't put you in harms way. So, I would like for Kian to stay with you."

She couldn't control the slightly hysterical burst of laughter. "That's not in harms way?"

"He knows better than to touch you. He doesn't know who Jonathan is, much less invested in his protection." He glances at the red-haired vampire. "And perhaps you two can talk. Maybe get to know each other a little more."

She nodded and only then realized she had been crying.

"Be careful, Elliot. All of you." She looked around at the two she loved and the one she liked. "I want you all back safe."

Surprising her, Caleb grinned before kneeling in front of her. "A kiss for luck?"

She blinked at him before cupping his face and pulling him close.

"Luck," she whispered before pressing her lips to his.

Quickly, she kissed the other two, fighting with herself to let Nikolas go. This wasn't how the night was supposed to go. It was supposed to be her declaration and maybe some violin. Some time away from worrying and now that worry was eating her alive.