13

"Ouch," Mark winced at the sudden contact on his bruised cheek.

Donghyuck gently pressed down on the band-aid, paying little heed to the soft cries coming from his boyfriend.

"Hyung, why did you have to get into a fight with your teammate?"

The older boy pouted in response, leaning on the railings of the rooftop, inhaling the cool air. Recalling the fight had his blood boiling once more.

"Luckily, you were only suspended for a week. You could have been expelled," Donghyuck pleaded, leaning on the rails, rubbing his face in frustration at how reckless his boyfriend had been.

"If it means I can beat the crap out of that bastard, I'm fine with it."

"Mark!" Donghyuck called out in frustration, struggling to comprehend what he was hearing. He lifted his arms to reach for Mark's cheeks, turning him toward himself. Desperately examining the taller boy's face, his heart sank when all he could see in his eyes was anger. "You can't solve everything with violence!"

"Then what?! Are you telling me to let them talk shit about you and do nothing?" Mark turned his head away from the smaller boy, not wanting him to see the subtle tears that were fighting to come out.

"I'm fine! You don't have to get worked up over what they said," Donghyuck pleaded. Taking a step closer, the anxious boy reached his hand out and turned Mark's head once more toward himself, so they were now, dejectedly, looking into each other's eyes. "Mark, you have to listen to what I'm saying."

"I don't get it." Mark averts his eyes. "I was fighting for you... And this is what I get?"

Donghyuck's heart ached. He understood Mark's intentions; only he could comprehend what Mark was feeling. He felt the same way. However, he was all out of ideas; all he wanted to do was protect him. "I think it'd be best for you to stop coming to my classroom for a while."

Mark turned his head around in disbelief at what he was hearing. "Huh?! Why?"

"Please, just try to understand!"

"Are you afraid...?" The older boy spoke through his teeth. "Does it embarrass you to let your classmates see us together?"

"No."

"Then what is it?"

Donghyuck felt as though Mark's harsh glare was setting him on fire. There was so much he wanted to say, but nothing was coming out. He felt anxious. He didn't want to say the wrong thing and mess things up.

"Fine." Mark sighed in defeat, traces of hurt in his voice. "I will avoid any contact with you from now on."

"You don't need to go that far! I didn't mean-"

"I said it's fine!" Mark snapped one last time as he turned and walked away, leaving the disheartened boy behind. "Let's not meet up for a while."

Donghyuck fell to the ground, softly sobbing as he watched his boyfriend walk away. This wasn't how he wanted it to be, but he didn't know any other way to protect Mark. "...I'm sorry," he softly cried to himself.