Chapter 2- The One Who Has No Feelings

"Next, please." I said as my 2-week patient with anxiety walked out of the room. A small chubby nurse went in with the next patient. She handed me the man's files, records and history, with one hand as she adjust her glasses with the other. I scanned the person's medical history with my pointing finger acting as the information's guide. "Mr. Choi Beomgyu, pleased to have you here at my office." I said as casual as possible while I position my hand in front of him for a handshake. The man who's as tall as me didn't hesitate in holding my hand. Good sign. In between his perfectly angled nose and chin, a small smile formed. "Shall we begin?"

From the first three meetings with him, I learned that he really ain't an active person. He prefers being alone in his room as he plays a song or two with his guitar. He grew up as an only child for his parents, until now, are busy with their own jobs. He is currently a university student at Emu University and has a close friend, Yongsu, which is also his childhood friend. This said friend convinced him to seek for an expert to help him with his mental health. He really doesn't talk much and has no particular mannerisms that I haven't gathered enough data about him yet to pinpoint whether he really is sick or not. "Do you have any future plans, Mr. Choi?" I asked. His eyes went upward, looking at the ceiling, before he answered. "I don't really have plans. I will just grab whatever opportunity arises." He doesn't seem to trust me yet. If this continues, I'll have to ask him to do something to monitor himself. I glanced at my wrist watch, 5pm. "That's it for today. We have exceeded for a bit with today's session. I hope I haven't interrupted any of your prior plans?" Beomgyu fixed his belongings, stuffing all his notebooks and his laptop inside his bag. "It's okay. I don't really have plans to begin with." I went towards the door and hold it for him. "You should at least go out and some fun with your friends too." Without replying, he shook my hand and left. I think I know what the problem is now.

Seventh session. He handed me his journal, still as indifferent as before. "Good job. You always pass your assignments on time." I jokingly told him. I opened it and saw his one line entry, 'A classmate told me to meet him after class. I didn't show up.' I eyed him. After realizing that he wouldn't answer back, I cleared my throat and continued. "I am now certain of what your situation is." I handed him a paper containing my diagnosis. "Schizoid personality disorder." I explained it to him, his eyes never left mine. I may still be a newbie in this profession but I know whether my patient believes me or not. "Mr. Choi, no, Beomgyu. You are allowed to seek help from other doctors. You may show them my diagnosis and ask for second opinions, I won't stop you." I saw his eyes waver. Vulnerable. "But, as someone whom you have shared your experiences with for seven days, not only as your psychiatrist, I sincerely want you to get better." I grabbed his hands just enough to give him reassurance before I hand him his medications.

Author's notes: Hello there. Here's an easy case for our Dr. Kang since he just started his 2nd year as a psychiatrist. Our next case requires more research so please wait for a bit. 👉👈