Chapter 3- The One Who Panics a Lot

I rested my head comfortably on my chair. I faced the ceiling observing how the spider beside the florescent binds its prey intricately. I feel like dozing off. My eyes are already half-closed when a shadow walked towards me and whispered, "Boo!" It brought me back to me sense. Finally awake, I heard someone knocking at my office's door. "Next, please." I said with a shaky breathe.

In front of me is a very tall guy with great body proportion. He ain't Slenderman, good. The other's eyes were moving frantically, left and right, scanning the whole room. "Pleased to have you here, Mr. Choi Soobin." I held out my hand which he hesitantly shook. "Please be at ease. You're safe here. No cameras, no voice recordings, and whatsoevers." I said as I move my hands around, gently touching my desk, pen, and lamp. The moment he saw my gesture, he relaxed for a bit. "Soobin, can I call you that?" He nodded. "Soobin, let me hear you story."

Soobin is very attentive, or should we say nervous, at basically everything. Before he sits, he would check whether the seat's functions are locked. He doesn't eat food nor drink coffee or tea served by out nurse, and also, he fidgets and squirms at every noise or sound, may it soft or loud. In today's session, I have learned that, prior to this visit, he had consulted a doctor to be enlightened about his heart conditions already but, the doctor said that he was totally fine and there's no illnesses or complications that he should worry about. He claims that the palpitation continues until now that went here to seek for medical attention. 5pm. I bid him goodbye at my doorway. He walked away with his bosy close to the wall. "Panic disorder." My office nurse said.

I woke up with the sound of a child crying. I glanced at my watch. "Already 8pm?" It's time for me to leave this room. I picked up my belongings and stuffed them inside my bag. My office is dark compared to the hallway I am approaching. I have already stepped one foot out when a familiar voice called me. "Dr. Kang, wait." He's in pain. I turned the lights on and helped Soobin get inside the office. He is shaking and breathing heavily. His head swaying as if it has a life of its own while tears flow from both of his eyes. "Soobin, calm down. What happened." I said as calm as possible while getting the necessary medications. "Someone's following me. He has been following me for the entire day after I got out of your office." He kept his eyes on the door while choking on his own words. I handed him the meds and a bottle of water which he chugged down hurriedly. "Doctor, I feel like choking. I need more air. I want to open the windows but I'm to scared. What if he's there." I grabbed his hands. "Breathe slowly. I'm here with you." After 10 minutes, Soobin visibly calmed down. I took a paper on my desk and handed it to him. "Here's my diagnosis and the medication to it." I smiled apologetically. "I'm about to give it to you on our next session. If I only knew that this is going to happen, I would have given it earlier." Since he has severe panic attacks, I asked him to do cognitive-behavioral therapy and prescribed SNRIs. I also encouraged him to change his lifetyle from sleeping hours to food choices. I sighed when he left the room with his parents. Soobin stared at it before heading to the entrance. I understand. This room is a safe place not only for him or any other patients but also to me. I walked inside, towards the couch, and slept soundly.