Chapter 4

Dabi gripped the handle of the pistol more firmly, trying to stop his hands from shaking.
Even though no one was around to witness anything, it would still be a pain in the ass to miss.
As he slowly cocked his weapon, a voice broke the heavy silence.
"Dabi?"
He looked up only to find Hawks standing there, his wings glowing in the light of the setting sun.
Maybe if he was sober he would've snapped out of it and thought things out more.
But he wasn't sober.
And he didn't think it out more.
Dabi raised the gun, feeling its cool metal against his temple.
Hawks's eyes widened. "Hey buddy-" the hero's voice was trembling slightly as he took a step closer. "Let's put the gun down, okay?"
"Take another step and I'll shoot!"
The hero flinched back at his threat, putting his hands up in surrender. "Dabi, please. Don't do this. Come with me, we can talk it out. I'll help you."
Dabi readjusted his grip, feeling sweat building up in his palm. "Why would you do that?"

Make no mistake, Dabi was never stupid. He was generally well thought out.
He just didn't know how to handle emotions.
Maybe if he had been brought up in a different home environment, things could have been different.
But he wasn't.
Every choice he had ever made led up to this moment- led up to him falling head over heels for a hero.
So, out of fear- he couldn't stay any longer.

Hawks was staring at him with wide, frightened eyes.
He almost didn't want to do it anymore...
"Dabi," the hero whimpered, a tear rolling down his cheek. "Please don't. I need you- i lo-"
The rest of the words were drowned out by a world shattering boom.

Dabi didn't have time to look at Hawks as the hero fell to his knees..
Everything had quickly gone dark.

Goodbye, Birdie...

...

Hawks watched in disbelief as blood poured from Dabi's shattered skull.
Everything had happened so quickly.
He failed to save the one person that mattered.

I didn't get to tell him I love him...