Chapter 15

Casimir released his unwavering hold on his power without warning as we walked through the halls. Sconces flickered and the air crackled around us. It felt like a great wave of icy water washed over me, making me shudder and falter on his arm. Shadows began to follow, amassing until they formed a sheer cape that blanketed everything behind him.

The pair of guards farther ahead in the corridor jolted as the wave of his power hit them and turned.

"My king," one bowed deep. "Lady Dagny and Lord Steward Mikolai await you in the great hall for the welcome festivities."

"It's the next right, but I see he already brought his festivities with him," the other finished with a nervous laugh.

I glanced up at Casimir and wished I hadn't. His face had sharpened and hollowed without his glamour. His eyes were solid, bottomless black and the grin he wore was without warmth. Cruelty showed through every feature.

It scared me. It thrilled me.

I watched as their shadows were stolen from them, absorbed into Casimir's cloak of writhing darkness. The whites of their eyes showed their fear as their breaths clouded in front of them.

Casimir broke the tense silence with, "I am aware of the location."

"Right, of course, sir," the second stammered.

"I hadn't realized Dagny let her people speak with such blatant disrespect, to their king, no less. Perhaps I shall inform her that her hand has grown too lax..."

"My king," he gasped. "That isn't necessary."

The first said nothing and stared ahead as if his life depended upon it.

"You would do well to refrain from overly personal comments if you value your tongue, considering I'm not seeing many reasons to let you keep it."

He fell to his knees, abandoning his spear to the side. "I humbly apologize, my king."

"And to my Favored," Casimir urged.

"The human?" The guard's voice wavered.

"Do you think I was unsure of her species? Do I need to repeat myself?" He brushed an invisible piece of lint from his jacket as if he was bored.

He wasn't. His eyes shined with his Fae amusement.

"I apologize... Favored."

Casimir tugged me along and the darkness swept over the guards, hesitated, and followed.

"Was that necessary?" I hissed into his shoulder.

"Was it not? I didn't like what he insinuated about you." He paused. "People respond best to fear. I thought you'd know that by now."

I bit my lip. "I thought we were trying to convince them that I was nothing more than your mindless distraction."

"I..." He hesitated. "You're right. It's just that Favored used to mean something different. It was a high station for humans to be granted. Favored were once honored advisors, guards, and trusted companions. They were sacred. That's why there are laws about them, you know."

"Laws you broke to take me with you?"

He stiffened. "Yes. A decision I will see consequences for, I assure you."

"So, now Favored are just glorified slaves?" I offered.

He gave a curt nod and then glanced to the large double doors ahead of us. I could hear the faint music even if the doors were closed.