Chapter 16

"Finally! I thought you would never leave," Neranni said when Casimir and I entered my room and quickly disentangled ourselves.

I rubbed my bare arms, skin buzzing with phantom caresses, and tried not to blush.

Neranni had discarded their mask and was perched on the end of the small bed. "Did you two enjoy yourselves at the party?"

Casimir rolled his eyes, which Neranni grinned at, and turned his back to us. A wave of his power slipped out as his hands raised.

"What are you doing?" I asked warily.

"He's making sure no one can hear us," Neranni answered and patted the bed next to them. "Come sit."

I joined them and watched Casimir's shoulders move up and down.

Neranni crossed their legs. "I heard what they said to you. Not good."

"But not unexpected," he added.

"Our king did make a mess of things, didn't he?" They laughed. "Are you finished yet?"

"Yes, we can speak freely." He turned and sat on the lone chair. "What did you find out?"

"Not anything that we didn't expect. Cia and the twins returned to the capital early when news reached them. The council pushed hard enough with their demands for a singular ruler. Leander was finally crowned after a very dramatic speech about demanding retribution for the murder of his father and stolen property," Neranni paused and glanced at me. "Cia and Lysander were right beside him. They're trying to solidify the Spring Court's aid, as I suspected. I heard more talk of marriage between him and Xanthe, the orphaned girl from Spring Court."

"He didn't seem very keen on that idea before." I frowned.

"Let's just say there are pressures from all sides about this matter now. He won't be taken seriously by the council if he continues to fight this, but there's nothing official yet."

"Have you discovered anything significant about her?" Casimir crossed his arms.

I raised my eyebrows, curious, but busied myself with trying to take down my hair.

"As far as I can tell, there is nothing significant about her, which is what makes it so strange. Cia is quite fond of her. It could just be that Cia remembers the controversy between the courts when Emrys married outside of his court, so to speak. Perhaps she simply finds Xanthe a suitable white girl to placate them. I haven't discovered anything of note, and next to nothing about her past. Maybe if I went to Spring Court..."

"That's not necessary on your part. Perhaps if there's an official engagement but I need you with us now. It's too risky..."

"Nonsense. This is what I agreed to. I'll be perfectly fine and so will our plan."

His eyes narrowed but he simply said, "Cia knows the value of a good marriage, I'll give her that."

"Especially with the courts full of unrest. No court is very happy with impending war."

"I'll be happy to indulge them by ending it, then," Casimir smiled with his too-long teeth.

"With all your posturing, no doubt," Neranni chuckled again. "Envoys from the Spring Court have situated themselves within the palace. Regular messages pass back and forth. Cia is glued to Leander's side so she can whisper in his ear—his grief has made him more pliable than ever. The council advises for patience, to wait to strike until next summer, but he'll hear nothing of it. I believe Cia is pushing him to finish things."

Casimir took off his crown and ran a hand through his hair. "She wouldn't be doing that without good reason. It's unbelievably ill-advised... and desperate."