CHAPTER III - ECLAIRE

CHAPTER III

ELCAIRE's POV

They all started at me with incomprehensible emotions. Of all the things I fear, its Mama's stare. Yung parang hinihigop ka. Her companion's also radiate those kinds of vibes. I sat the sofa; I lowered my head out of guilt. Natatakot ako sa pwedeng maging comment ni Mama. I'm well aware that she doesn't back down with her comments. She has a filter, yes. But she can be extremely and brutally honest.

One time, she openly called a manuscript 'a waste of ink and time'. Oh! A dissertation I believe was the one she threw away.

"The stories are true. He's like..."

"Like what, Adolfo?"

The man who commented gave a scrutinizing look. He was looking so intent as if he was reading my very soul. The man stood only inches taller than me. Lean-figured and dominant were few of the characteristics I was able to pinpoint.

"Yes, he is. But, isn't he..."

"We are yet to find out."

"Napapahon na malaman n'ya kung ano ang nakatadhana sa kanya. That's his birth right!"

Pilit kong initindi ang mga sinasabi ng lalaking tinawag ni Mama na si Adolfo. Ano ba ang mga pinagsasabi nila? Hindi ko talaga maintindihan.

"Anak, manatili ka sa kwarto mo hanggang bukas ng gabi. Kahit anong mangyari at kahit anong marginig mong ingay o tunog, ay huwag kang lalabas!"

I was about to ask her why she was asking me to stay inside my room for that long. Before I could though, a bone-chilling growl echoed through the house... it sound as though it came from the forest. All of our heads were directed to where the sound resonated from.

I have never felt his kind of fear before. Naramdaman ko ang marahang pagtago ni Mama sa akin sa kanyang likod. She stood in front of me with a determined look. For a moment, my world stopped.

Mama's eyes had glow a bright purple as well as her companions.

"Pumasok ka sa loob, anak."

"Pero Mama..."

She growled at me as fangs slowly descended from her maxilla. Unusual features were prominent such the sudden change of her skin's color from pale porcelain to bluish-purple to the elongated nails which protruded from her hands. Her soft, soothing voice dropped an octave lower.

"Magtago ka, anak. Mamamatay muna ako bago ka nila mahawakan!"

The way she spoke those words were not intimidating or scary, it was caring. As a tear descended from my eyes, I gave her one tight hug before following her directive.

"Mahal na mahal kita, Mama."

As I ran to my room, it felt as though it was miles. Nang ako'y makarating sa kwarto ko, agad kong kinandado ang pinto at hinarangan ito ng pinakamabigat na bagay na kayang isusod. I sat on my bed and covered myself with a blanket. I looked for my rosary and started praying.

"AVE MARIA, gratia plena, Dominus tecum. Benedicta tu in mulieribus, et benedictus fructus ventris tui, Iesus. Sancta Maria, Mater Dei, ora pro nobis peccatoribus, nunc, et in hora mortis nostrae. Amen."

After repeating the prayer again and again, while the ruckus seemed to stable, I just kept on praying with closed eyes. A minute passed and all fell silent. I cannot help but feel uneasy. The eerie silence haunted me.

"A-anak."

Si Mama?

Agad akong bumaba sa higaan at lumapit sa pinto. I heard a loud thud. Kinabahan ako dahil hindi ko inaasahan na ganoon ang mangyayari. When I was about to open the door, with my left tightly clutching my chest, a voice shouted: