Chapter 3

"Lilly, can you keep it down? I really need some sleep, it's four in the freaking morning." I said, turning on my other side while I fluffed my pillow. She was doing something, but I didn't risk opening my eyes in fear I would jinx myself. I needed to sleep, I haven't been resting well at all since I've arrived here.

"Tori? I can't sleep, I need a cigarette." Lilly spoke softly, I was almost unable to hear her. I smiled sympathetically, not having anything to give her.

"I'm sorry, if I did have one, I'd give it to you." I then shivered as a wave of cold air blew past me, causing goosebumps to rise. I pulled my thin sheet and worn blanket higher, trying to cover myself entirely, at least up to my neck.

"Lilly, please . Keep the crying down, I'm sorry you are not in the mood but I really need sleep. I have to go to this group meeting thing in like," I glanced over at the clock checking the time "In less than an hour! Damn it!"

"Sorry, I'm just really cold and I need something to calm my nerves down. I'm having nightmares. Do you think you could call a nurse down here for me? " Lilly started shaking, goose flesh covering her arms and legs. She curled up under the blankets again, trying to get warm.

"Yeah sure , I guess I won't be getting any sleep." I rubbed my eyes and stood up slowly, pushing past my dizziness. I pushed the red button on the wall hard, almost hard enough to break it.

"What's wrong?" Evelyn said, padding in drowsily. She was one of the night shift nurses.

"It's Lilly, she's freezing and she needs something to calm her down. I really need to sleep, so is everyone done with me?" My bad mood started to seep into my words, being sleep deprived does that to almost anyone.

"Okay, slide back in bed , I'll take care of her." Evelyn was now in autopilot, softly whispering to Lilly and getting her anything she needed.

"Okay darling , you should be set to go after I get you another blanket. I need for you to try to sleep, close your eyes . You have a group meeting soon, and Tori does too. So please rest. Goodnight ladies." Evelyn planted a kiss on Lilly's forehead and went out into the hall, then came back a few seconds later carrying another blanket for the freezing girl. After tucking her in, she got up and left, quietly closing the door behind her.

"Tori? I can't sleep." Lilly said turning over to face me as soon as the door clicked shut.

"Dammit Lilly, what was all that for then? Whatever I'm up. Let's get ready for group. We're gonna be early." I got up, put on my favorite black sweats set, and threw my hair into a messy bun.

"My last cigarette!" She held it up for inspection, the white paper held tiny bits of dust and dirt from being beneath her bed. I snatched it out of her hand , and stomped on it, anger getting the best of me.

"You can't smoke anymore, it's not gonna make you feel any better!" I shouted. Her eyes started to water as she looked at the ground where the remains of the cigarette was.

We waited for the workers to press the button to unlock the hallways doors. The door made a light screeching sound as it opened.

"Okay Lilly, go get some sweatpants on and I'll meet you there." I pulled my lips into a fake smile and walked down the hallway, not waiting for her.

"Good morning Victoria, anything I can help assist you with on this bright and shining morning?" Harold, the janitor said stopping to smile, standing his broom up on the little cart he wheeled around with him.

"No sir. Maybe some sleep, my roommate can't keep her mouth closed when it's time to sleep, but I doubt you can help with that." I cracked a real smile and felt some of the anger from earlier melt away.