Chapter 12 - New Beginnings

Today was the day of Will and Elizabeth's wedding. All had been prepared: the venue, guests, food. Excitement and lust flew through the air like fairies, leaving a trail of glitter, or as Lydia would be calling the trail happiness, for all of the townsman to see. The locals of Port Royal celebrated the engagement, proving to be more excepting than you may have thought. Even the Governor was over the moon, happy that his daughter was happy, even if Will's a pirate.

Speaking of Pirates was a touchy subject to Lydia however. It had been almost a year since Lydia met Jack. Almost a year since she went on that crazy adventure with him. And she hadn't seen him since. No visits. No coming back like he promised. Not even a letter to explain why he never came back. She could understand, he wasn't exactly welcomed in Port Royal but he promised. But bloody Pirates go back on their word. That's what she found out waiting for him.

She used to sit at the docs for hours at a time, swinging her legs off the edge and humming to herself. Every ship that came by she asked of him, asked if they've seen the infamous black ship. Of course they've heard of it, everyone had at that point however no one knew of Captain Jack Sparrow's whereabouts. So after a while she stopped visiting the docs, chose just to stare at her painting she had made for him and his ship.

She had made a variety of different gifts for him as he was away. Collecting different beads was tough at first but she soon found some that were ever so unique, the turquoise ones being her favourite. The painting she had made stood at the far wall of the shop and though getting a few questionable looks became the highlight of her store. Lydia adored it. Though she didn't adore Jack for not coming back. Suppose she couldn't blame him, if he did come back he would most likely be sent straight back to the gallows. She expected more from him. So much more than disappearing. She had retired the necklace he gave her, deciding it reminded her too much of him, which she didn't want when her best friends wedding was coming up. Elizabeth had planned a beautiful wedding, one to be remembered for eternity. And it definitely will be remembered.

••••••••••

The day of the wedding a vicious storm came by Port Royal, like a warning of what was to come. Droplets of water splashed onto the china teacups and the table cloths, slipping down the sides of the tables. They were chattering as they fell as if they were mocking the empty wedding around them, bombarding it with a cold wet sensation. Music sheets for the band were tearing and the inc was collapsing, the joyous songs fading away. In the middle of it all sat Elizabeth and Lydia, drenched head to toe, both in matching outfits for the day.

Elizabeth's was the most extravagant of the two. A faded yellow dress with flowery and lace detailing up and down the bodice that fitted her stunningly. Lydia was like hers but more simple, a little less detailing but still just as pretty. Unfortunately their once gorgeous dresses were now dripping along with the scenery around them. Will hadn't shown up, as well as the many guests who couldn't over the storm. It was just Elizabeth and Lydia sat without the men they loved, or one of the men one of them loved, at the alter.

"I'm sorry Elizabeth," Lydia spoke softly.

"Why isn't he here," She was obviously talking about Will but Lydia couldn't help but feel the same about Jack.

There was the patter of boots that revealed an unfamiliar Navy man at the end of the isle. He beckoned the two girls and when they turned they were met with even more men. They definitely weren't invited either. Elizabeth stood up and took Lydia's hand, leading them to where the men stood under cover of the rain. It was only then they saw Will being marched forward, with irons on his wrists. Elizabeth gasped and her grip tightened on Lydia's hand.

"Will!" She panted "why is this happening?"

"I don't know," Will said solemnly as Elizabeth played with his suit "you look beautiful."